Running the engine

Midnight

Featured Posts

Only a slight drift - but what about when you see 'no mooring' signs on the towpath side.  I can think of several palces where we've seen them.  The ones in Rugby are pucka CRT ones so are presumably there for a reason but further on just before Hawsbury there is a stretch and I 've seen quite a few in other places  Aynho on the Oxford springs to mind.

5 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Only a slight drift - but what about when you see 'no mooring' signs on the towpath side.  I can think of several palces where we've seen them.  The ones in Rugby are pucka CRT ones so are presumably there for a reason but further on just before Hawsbury there is a stretch and I 've seen quite a few in other places  Aynho on the Oxford springs to mind.

You have to be a little careful. I usualy ignore the obviously bullshit ones but some towpath is private mooring. Just a one as a for instance the towpath opposite Oxfordshire narrowboats on the Oxford canal between the bridge and the narrows on the Oxford canal is private moorings. There are plenty of others around. Aynho towpath below the bridge are also CART.

Edited by mrsmelly

3 hours ago, mayalld said:

I would run your engine again, and await his return to tell you that it is illegal.

When he does, hand him a letter;

Dear Sir,

I refer to your repeated claims that it is "illegal" to run my boat's engine whilst moored in Skipton, and would comment as follows;

1) The "Considerate Boater" website that you handed me an extract from is simply an opinion as to how one should behave considerately. It has no force in law, and not everybody agrees with everything that is written there.

2) Any restriction on running engines (or more commonly a request not to run engines) would be advised to boaters by official signage, not by a local resident handing out leaflets.

3) It is a condition of our boat licences that we do not run engines whilst moored between 8pm and 8am. Outside those times, there is no restriction.

I would also refer to your conduct, in that you have;

1) Made assertions that something is illegal when it is not, in order to induce me to stop carrying out a legal activity

2) Made great show of making a telephone call to report me for running my engine, a call which apparently included the relevant authority telling you that I had been reported for this before. As divulging any information such as this to you would be a breach of data protection law, I am inclined to believe that this "phone call" was in fact simply a performance to induce me to do as you wish.

I must therefore point out that whilst running engines is NOT illegal, harassment IS.

I would advise you that I regard your actions as harassment, and that should there be any further repetition, it is my intention to make a formal complaint under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997

Yours etc.

Yes thank you, that's a great letter Dave and if I ever get to repeat the matter I may hand it to him. Regrettably I'll probably not be back in Skipton for a long while and would only moor in the same location if there were no alternatives. In my case it was easier on me to just move but others heading that way are now forewarned and forearmed if they so choose.

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

Funny thing is I didn't see any "Quiet Zone" signs at Skipton. I understand from locals that the gentleman in question had only recently moved in. Reminds me of something to do with church bells. I suspect he will have a lot of stress living there especially when it gets colder and boaters light their stoves. Oh and for good measure the following day the church bells were rung loudly for quite awhile and would have drowned out the noise of my Beta 43.

Thats because there isnt any