Paloma PH5 Replacement

Kustomcut

Featured Posts

Probably not, but are you aware of "Paloma Bob" who may be able to recondition/repair your own unit, or offer you a "pre-owned" replacement?

I've no experience personally, but people speak very highly of "Paloma Bob".

2 hours ago, Kustomcut said:

Hi All, does anyone know are there any heaters out there that will straight replace a Paloma PH5?

Pluming flue position etc.

Or are they all slightly different?

All?

There is only one reputable equivalent available these days, the Morco. And it is completely different dimensionally. 

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

All?

There is only one reputable equivalent available these days, the Morco. And it is completely different dimensionally. 

Can you now easily by a Morco, again?

It is only a few months back that there was a claim they were not still being made, and that most firms advertising one couldn't actually supply one.

I can't recall hearing any update on that.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Can you now easily by a Morco, again?

Yes

There was a thread recently making the same claim (not available), I posted a link to a company with (I think) 400 units in stock.

MtB did some investigation with Morco and confirmed they are still in production.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Ok now for the next question

I have a Rianni from my old boat fully working, I am thinking of popping that in place of the Paloma, or buyinmg a new Morco, however the boat is currently fitted with the Paloma, and has the diverter then a mushroom vent on the roof.

Reading up on the Morco if I change to that I have to have a 600mm flue min? Don't really want a 600mm chimney if I can help it (however I do want it to be safe).

My boat is  a 25ft springer with the above Paloma heater, it has outboard so my water heating options are limited, what are my options or should I just go for a morco and install the flue in replacement or are there any other water heating options. sealed units etc.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

It is only a few months back that there was a claim they were not still being made, and that most firms advertising one couldn't actually supply one.

I can't recall hearing any update on that.

I updated that thread a couple of months go informing everyone that the Morco was once again available.

Midland Chandlers for example, were listing something like 573 in stock on the day of my update. Hamiltons and various other retailers claimed to have good stocks too. 

Curiously today, the MC website again says zero stock, so supplies appear to be sketchy at best. 

I think ideally with a Morco you should have the 600mm(ish ?) internal double skinned flue uncut.

Some of it will be passing through the roof lining and into the roof collar, so it doesn't actually mean setting the top of the Morco a full 600mm below the roof lining, and in most narrow boats it should still be able to be above work surface level, (though maybe not on a small Springer ?).

Strictly you should have the official external flue, (probably no more than 250mm ton 300mm?), although our last boat always had a very large mushroom vent straight onto the roof.  Probably not correct, but no BSS inspector we ever used objected, and it always passed a spill test with flying colours.

However fitting new on the current boat, I have used both the full internal flue, and the official external one unmodified.  (The BSS examiner didn't even do a spill test - he said it was obvious it would pass, and he would save a spill!)

Thanks, I will have a word with Alvechurch as the boat is getting put in the water there today and see if they can cost up for a fitting of a new boiler, I am capable to do and just get it passed off but its the old saying of do it right once, and im not sure what way to go.

5 minutes ago, Kustomcut said:

Thanks, I will have a word with Alvechurch as the boat is getting put in the water there today and see if they can cost up for a fitting of a new boiler, I am capable to do and just get it passed off but its the old saying of do it right once, and im not sure what way to go.

Why do you want to replace it? I've not noticed the reason. 

As others have said, Paloma Bob fixes these on an 'exhange' basis. You send him yours, he sends you an identical one back in full working order. Why not do that? FAR easier than swapping to a Morco.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why do you want to replace it? I've not noticed the reason. 

As others have said, Paloma Bob fixes these on an 'exhange' basis. You send him yours, he sends you an identical one back in full working order. Why not do that? FAR easier than swapping to a Morco.

Yes, I agree.

And if you can get a reconditioned Paloma, people generally seem to think they work better than a Morco.

Morcos are OK, but far from spectacular in my experience.

• Happy 1

Agree with above. Exchange the paloma for another if you can. Ours has been in daily service for near 20 years, and was second hand when we got it. It has worked faultlessly for all those years, with no replacement parts. 

It will probably pack up now I've said that. 

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Agree with above. Exchange the paloma for another if you can. Ours has been in daily service for near 20 years, and was second hand when we got it. It has worked faultlessly for all those years, with no replacement parts. 

It will probably pack up now I've said that. 

Paloma made in Japan ,last you long Time.easy to repair . Hang on to it ,Excellent Machine.

• Happy 1