Aire & Calder - Goole towards Wakefield etc

Bantam_dave21

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I'm in the final throes of considering moving my second boat to live at goole with my smaller (soon to sold hopefully) Atlanta. The move is purely cost driven as it's currently on the Trent...

mt question what are water depths currently like in this area? I know exol pride had been back running for a while but have read she doesn't run fully laden due to depth issues but not sure where. I draft Around 3ft with the shafts, I've seen some of the larger boats tie up at the end of the New Junction and I've seen how shallow it can be close to the edge in places on the new junction but just curious as to what I could be looking at in terms of cruising distance....assuming I clear heck bridge....

many thanks

1 hour ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Hi everyone

I'm in the final throes of considering moving my second boat to live at goole with my smaller (soon to sold hopefully) Atlanta. The move is purely cost driven as it's currently on the Trent...

mt question what are water depths currently like in this area? I know exol pride had been back running for a while but have read she doesn't run fully laden due to depth issues but not sure where. I draft Around 3ft with the shafts, I've seen some of the larger boats tie up at the end of the New Junction and I've seen how shallow it can be close to the edge in places on the new junction but just curious as to what I could be looking at in terms of cruising distance....assuming I clear heck bridge....

many thanks

I have been in at Keadby and through to Goole   a couple or three  times in my previous boat which was  sterndrive with 3ft draft  and together with other similar boats but admittedly not for about 4 years . I don't recall any depth issues and may be wrong but recall the Aire an Calder at more than adequate depth.

I know of others that have been up to Leeds. A  Broom 38 / Westwood A34/ Fairline Turbo  36 all aiming to go to Doncaster in a few weeks time .

I doubt many canal boats have depth gauge so you may get only a few responses.

The greater restriction is on air draft - the bridge at Heck being one of them.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Hi everyone

many thanks

You will have absolutely zero problem whatsoever. 

• Greenie 1

Thanks guys....and at the risk of pushing my luck....

if taking route to Goole via the Keadby rather than Trent falls and down to Goole(I've never done trent falls, and despite the boat being capable I'm not quite sure I am yet) would that be ok too? I have to admit I've never ventured on to the Keadby with any of my boats despite often passing the lock whilst on the new junction toward Doncaster.

thanks again

Dave

24 minutes ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Thanks guys....and at the risk of pushing my luck....

if taking route to Goole via the Keadby rather than Trent falls and down to Goole(I've never done trent falls, and despite the boat being capable I'm not quite sure I am yet) would that be ok too? I have to admit I've never ventured on to the Keadby with any of my boats despite often passing the lock whilst on the new junction toward Doncaster.

thanks again

Dave

What boat is it? You can get maximum of 70 foot narrowbeam through Thorne, over that its Trent falls. Coming in at Keadby is fine if you go in at the correct time, lockies will advise. There is a big mud bank outside which can be a problem if timed badly.

• Greenie 1

I'm only 33ft....I'm more worried the bottom may be too close to the top. I need to check any bridge heights on the Keadby - but don't fancy Trent Falls. I'm sure it's ok just daunting as a first timer...

I've read lots of negative stuff about lock-in advice recently coming off the Trent and upto Keadby lock. I need to speak to lots of people on here and my mooring etc etc and be very clear what's what...

thanks for your response... ?

• Happy 1

You shouldn't have any problems regarding depth.  I pushed a Sheffield size boat to Nottingham last year and went via the Keadby.  The tug I used is around four foot six draught and I didn't touch bottom keeping to the channel.  There's a low rail? bridge just past the marina at Thorne, that took a ladder off of my roof, if you can get under that, there shouldn't be any other problems.

• Greenie 1

Just now, NB Esk said:

You shouldn't have any problems regarding depth.  I pushed a Sheffield size boat to Nottingham last year and went via the Keadby.  The tug I used is around four foot six draught and I didn't touch bottom keeping to the channel.  There's a low rail? bridge just past the marina at Thorne, that took a ladder off of my roof, if you can get under that, there shouldn't be any other problems.

Thanks for that I'll check for the bridge height....about the lowest income across round here is the bridge just before (or after depending on direction) Newark Town Lock

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Thanks for that I'll check for the bridge height....about the lowest income across round here is the bridge just before (or after depending on direction) Newark Town Lock

Is that the stone one with maybe three or four arches?  That rail bridge at Thorne is lower.  The air draught should be on the Crt website.

• Greenie 1

Bridge heights and other dimensions

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/32433-waterway-dimensions.pdf

What engine do you have ? If not very powerful probably best be going with the tide and arriving at keadby at low water. For this you will need to pick your day depending on the tides . If you have  a petrol engine note there is a petrol station at Gainsborough a reasonable walk back towards the bridge from the pontoon.

Tide times at Keadby on the following

http://www.tides4fishing.com/uk/england/keadby

Probably best to go on a neap tide - when there is a half moon as the tides will be less fierce than on springs (springs = no moon and full moon).

You must phone the day before and book Keadby otherwise the lock keeper may not be in attendance .

If the world cup is on avoid England match times.

I have two 6 cylinder ford Lehmans so in theory I can both push the tide and keep a good pace. I've not though worked them hard since purchasing the boat and always been happy plodding up and down the Trent so not sure how they go on temp wise when under stress so to speak.

Thank you for the info and links I'll check them out when next at a computer.

cheers

Dave

Hello,

I am based in Goole Boathouse Marina.. We have a draft of 4' and airdraft of 10'.There are no depth problems for you in the area. The lowest bridge on the Stainforth/Keadby canal is the Thorne railway bridge at Stanilands Marina at about 11' 6". Heck bridge on the Aire & Calder is supposed to be about 11', but I think it might be a shade more. Exol Pride is still running to Rotherham with a draft of over 6' loaded.

12 hours ago, Bantam_dave21 said:

Tvm- if I'm honest I don't entirely remember. I thinks it's just a single span bridge....

I'm guessing you mean the single span bridge just upstream of Town Lock and before all of the BW workboats stored on the left.

That one took my GPS antenna off and twisted the Radar arch (fortunately, at the time) I didn't have the radar unit mounted.

Newark Road (multi-Arch) bridge is a bit higher but quite narrow for a 14 foot beam if the flood is running.