Two Way Hinges

Featured Posts

Hello. I am wanting to source some two way hinges that will fit onto a 15 mm door and bulkhead. Ironmongers say they're too small for the high street shops, not sure about that. I found some ages ago but I have, once again dithered to long and this supplier doesn't stock anymore. Hàfele stock then but to buy three, that's what I want, it's about £80 including £9 postage. I am finding that uncomfortable.

Anyone got any bright ideas. This type of hinge. In addition, would 20mm hinges look hideous? I could get 20mm.

IMG_1692.JPG

Edited by Nightwatch

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hello. I am wanting to source some two way hinges that will fit onto a 15 mm door and bulkhead. Ironmongers say they're too small for the high street shops, not sure about that. I found some ages ago but I have, once again dithered to long and this supplier doesn't stock anymore. Hàfele stock then but to buy three, that's what I want, it's about £80 including £9 postage. I am finding that uncomfortable.

Anyone got any bright ideas. This type of hinge. In addition, would 20mm hinges look hideous? I could get 20mm.

IMG_1692.JPG

Much, much cheaper.   Two ordinary butt hinges can be made by overlapping and fastening together the two wings of each to make a double. Try experimenting with two. Something like depicted below.

003.JPG

004.JPG

10 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Much, much cheaper.   Two ordinary butt hinges can be made by overlapping and fastening together the two wings of each to make a double. Try experimenting with two. Something like depicted below.

003.JPG

004.JPG

Also easily made from strips of leather. 2 or 4 per hinge.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks for that, but I'm not getting how or which bit goes on the door and which bit goes on the bulkhead.

As I said. Play with a and experiment with a couple of ordinary butt hinges in your hands. Stick em together temporarily if you need. 

Will do. I'll report back.

Edit. I'm back and reporting. I can now see how that will work. One hurdle to get over would be attaching the two hinges together strong enough to hold. A very strong adhesive is required. 

Slightly out of focus.

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Edited by Nightwatch

39 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Will do. I'll report back.

Edit. I'm back and reporting. I can now see how that will work. One hurdle to get over would be attaching the two hinges together strong enough to hold. A very strong adhesive is required. 

Slightly out of focus.

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Braze, solder, rivets, small countersunk screws and nuts, ground down thin afterwards if needed.  Araldite.

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Braze, solder, rivets, small countersunk screws and nuts, ground down thin afterwards if needed.  Araldite.

Araldite is probably the easiest way. Immensly strong stuff, more so because it will ooze into the screw holes and really lock them together, and can eaisily be ground flush afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Trying Gorilla, as I have some, going to leave it a few hours to set proper like. It's stuck fairly well now, but I'm trying to be patient.

great suggestion, thank you. It may well work.

Have you glued them back to back as opposed to face to face as per your picture? I’m not sure they’ll close if glued as per your photo.