Scottish Boat Yard

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I'm on the hunt for an inexpensive boatyard around either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

We're planning to buy in the near future and spend some time (and probably more money than we plan) refurbishing. We live in Glasgow but are currently looking at Bowling or Edinburgh end of the canal for mooring. So........we need to find a cheap boatyard for a few months.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Alan

er.....suggestions regarding boatyards that is - been reading some of those posts :)

There aren't really any boatyards on the lowland canals. If it is somewhere to moor while you do the boat up, Scottish Canals has the monopoly 

If you want a yard to work on your boat the only one I can think of is Steven Kelvin in grangemouth 

Haggis 

Hi Haggis, Thanks for that. We’re hoping to get the hull checked and painted if needed so need a yard to do it. This doesn’t have to be on the canal so Grangemouth might work. 

Once it’s on the canal we can work on the inside.

We had a look at Rutherglen Sailing Club on the Clyde but availability there would depend on the size of the boat we get. 

Will check out Steven Kelvin

??

There are dry docks at Ratho (Seagull Trust) and the floating one at Falkirk (Capercaillie Cruisers). Both are obviously time limited for use, as they are in high demand (usually!) There is a slip at Glasgow Road Bridge which the Forth & Clyde use for their boats. (Not sure of its current condition, though, as it's a few years since we've been that way.)

Steve Kelvin has lift out facilities and hard standing.

Stevie put my 42 footer in the water when it came up from down south. The timing for the lift is dependent on water levels both alongside the crane and for passage under the Kerse road bridge. 
Hope all goes well for you. Allan 

Thanks for the suggestion Waterway2go - I had a look at their website last week. Went down but all shut up. Will give them a call.

Just have to decide if we’re going to west or east of canal. Spoke to one of the canal guys at Falkirk and he’s fairly sure there will be no through passage even for ‘next season’ (short of the suggestion I to go via the Caledonian lol). Berths are more scarce in the east I think.

39 minutes ago, Waterway2go said:

The River Clyde boatyard at Rothesay Dock, Clydebank can do a lift out with hard standing space for DIY

+1 for Rothesay Dock. My little 22ft boat got launched from there, and I sailed it up the Clyde to Bowling. Keith, I think the chaps name was, was fab. Very helpful.

Bloke I spoke to out at Falkirk said his hires were waaaaaay down on last year so I guess it must be getting brought up at the point of hire. It wasn't very clear whether the companies were doing it or he was though. He said he had one who dropped from 2 weeks to 1 week when they found out. It sounded like he was the one to mention it. 

Hey Ronnie - I'll definately give them a call