solar panel controller

stuart23

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd have thought no controller at all would suffice. 

Just connect it straight to the battery terminals. 

That's what I thought.... a 30 Watt panel is not going to provide more than 2 or 3 Amps, so a float charge at best. Don't forget a fuse close to the battery to protect the cable.

I got a controller, but I'm a bit confused by the symbols on it.

Can anyone clarify which wire does where?...as in one wire to the solar panel positive, one to solar panel return, one wire to battery positive, one to battery negative is what I think should happen but the symbols don't make it clear to me which goes where. The first wire on the left is red and is attached to the + symbol.

con2.jpg

29 minutes ago, stuart23 said:

Can anyone clarify which wire does where?...as in one wire to the solar panel positive, one to solar panel return, one wire to battery positive, one to battery negative is what I think should happen but the symbols don't make it clear to me which goes where. The first wire on the left is red and is attached to the + symbol.

con2.jpg

So you ask our advice and then do something different...... never mind...

We can't see where the wires go in from your picture, but there will generally be 6 holes in a row that you can stick wires into.

They are usually wired PV pos,  PV neg, batt pos,  batt neg, load pos,  load neg.

The last 2 are rarely used.

It’s a strange looking beast, and this is my guess, starting with the red wire (1) then

1.  Battery & solar panel positive 

2.  Solar panel negative 

3.  Battery negative 

4.  ‘Load’ which is best not used

5.   From the photo it’s not clear if it is a sensor lead or a little dangling probe, if the system works without touching it I would leave it alone.  Added - either way it is a temp sensor, which is usually not essential.

As always connect battery first (so wires 1&3, then wire 2).  Make sure there is a fuse close to the battery in the cable.

This is a low cost PWM controller which is not very good, so I would get something better.

added.  As always with electric systems, if you are not sure what you are doing, seek advice before doing it.

Edited by Chewbacka

There are 5 wires coming out of the controller  which correspond with the symbols on the top of the controller. In the scan of the controller the wires are out of focus I'm trying to find out what the symbols mean....which wires i attach where. I get the wire to the right is a temperature wire 

con3.jpg

7 minutes ago, stuart23 said:

There are 5 wires coming out of the controller  which correspond with the symbols on the top of the controller. In the scan of the controller the wires are out of focus I'm trying to find out what the symbols mean....which wires i attach where. I get the wire to the right is a temperature wire 

con3.jpg

With the better picture I am now fairly sure my post above is correct and what I thought was a 5th wire is in fact a pair of wires with a blob on the end which is the temp sensor and just left dangling 

added - as to the set up button I don’t know if it is used to select battery type or something else.  Did you not get any instructions with it to confirm wiring, set-up etc?

Edited by Chewbacka

Thanks. OK the first 2 wires  are connected to the solar panel, the 4th wire is 'Load' so I won't be using that, so the 3rd wire is for the battery.......so that goes to the positive side of the battery......and there is no return wire? 

It's got a common positive which needs a junction box/busbar to connect it to both battery positive and solar positive.

The negative with a picture of a solar panel connects to the solar negative.

The negative with a picture of a battery connects to the battery negative.

I wouldnt do anything with the load and temp... except insulate the end of the load wire.

Which is what chewy said in #8

It looks like a very cheap controller and, as mentioned earlier, probably isnt necessary.

2 minutes ago, stuart23 said:

Thanks. OK the first 2 wires  are connected to the solar panel, the 4th wire is 'Load' so I won't be using that, so the 3rd wire is for the battery.......so that goes to the positive side of the battery......and there is no return wire? 

Unless you are winding us up, (and I dont think you are), you need to get someone who knows what they are doing to connect this up for you.

6 minutes ago, stuart23 said:

Was my post #8 not clear? Black wires are always negative.

i suggest you get someone to help you fit it.

Edited by Chewbacka
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, stuart23 said:

Have you considered reading the manual? 

This is what it is for, to explain where the wires go.