Narrowboats & NHS

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

No, you will be pleased to hear that this is not another thread about obtaining treatment etc whilst on the cut!

We have now been on our NB for five nights and I have to say I don’t think I have felt so relaxed and chilled for such a long time.  We haven’t been anywhere as yet as I am still learning about the systems on the boat but I am so pleased we bought her because she is superb.  Real quality in the fixtures and fittings together with the onboard systems.  We are in a very quiet marina which has lots of bird life and the odd wild animal or two.  My wife who has always had sleep issues and usually got up at 5am at the latest now has difficulty getting up at 7am for the dog! She too feels totally chilled.

This got me thinking.  I wonder if the NHS benefits from the people on the canal system who are probably less stressed in general and therefore may not suffer from the day to day ills of landlubbers (unless of course you visit The Virtual Pub on CW)  :D

2 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

This got me thinking.  I wonder if the NHS benefits from the people on the canal system who are probably less stressed in general and therefore may not suffer from the day to day ills of landlubbers (unless of course you visit The Virtual Pub on CW)  :D

It's not the Virtual pub that reduces the health benefits - it's all those real ones!

Me having a boat probably increases the load on the NHS, because quite a few of my hospital trips have been to do with boat related incidents.

However, at least I spread it around a bit more, having visited hospitals in Rochdale, Northampton and Oxford as a result of things that have happened when I have been on the boat.  (Though "posterior vitreous detachment" could have course have occurred anywhere, and was not specifically boating induced!)

3 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

We have now been on our NB for five nights and I have to say I don’t think I have felt so relaxed and chilled for such a long time.

You've not seen the totally stressed boaters - you can tell as you go past as they be shouting "slow down", even to the swans.

• Haha 1

I'm glad you are enjoying your boat living but I would wait until you've done some cruising before drawing conclusions on the less stress It could well be some other person that does something to raise you stress levels Depends a lot on how laid back you are Give it a series of cruises for more than 6 months or more & report back Hooping you syill have the same feellings