Selling my Boat - Paperwork Required

RichardH

Featured Posts

Don't want to tempt fate but the old dear is being lifted tomorrow for her survey following an 'offer subject to survey'

Just a quick question for the learned members of the forum - does anyone know what paperwork I should prepare to hand over with the boat

Has anyone a sample bill of sale or contract

Or is it just shake hands and wish them many happy years of boating

Just need a bigger one if it all goes ahead.

On a related topic - as a purchaser I've been told to make sure that there's no finance outstanding on the boat, and that the person can prove they are the owner - how do you do that?! Is there some kind of log book like a car, and how would you know if there was finance outstanding??

You'll need a Bill of Sale, you can find a copy here.

It says on it "In consideration of (**the sum of)

**paid/given to **me/us by:"

What's the difference between paid/given when writing the amount of money exchanged, is it for if the boat's a gift?

If anyone would like to give me a boat as a gift i'd happily accept!!!! :rolleyes:

On a related topic - as a purchaser I've been told to make sure that there's no finance outstanding on the boat, and that the person can prove they are the owner - how do you do that?! Is there some kind of log book like a car, and how would you know if there was finance outstanding??

I have the bill of sale from the previous owner but have absolutely no idea how to prove there is no finance - I paid by cheque when I bought her. A good point though.

Agree with the BSS and manuals. I will also be supplying copies of all receipts for major work.

I remember when I was given an old vehicle of my dads, he had a letter from the bank that had financed it showing it was paid for. I would imagine tha would both cover the paid and owned sides of your question. Don't know how willing folks would be to produce that though.

Should it even matter if they haven't paid it off yet? Frequently with houses the money paid for the house is used to pay off the mortgage before it changes hands.

Should it even matter if they haven't paid it off yet? Frequently with houses the money paid for the house is used to pay off the mortgage before it changes hands.

Yeah - that's what i thought too! If there were money left owing surely the previous owners pay for that when they've got the money off me

v confusing - perhaps I misunderstood the advice

Yeah - that's what i thought too! If there were money left owing surely the previous owners pay for that when they've got the money off me

v confusing - perhaps I misunderstood the advice

Well now, I suppose one issue is if the previous owner doesn't pay up and the bank comes for their boat, what happens? I know with our house, out mortgage is insured, if the scumbags fine folks who sold us our filthy well-kempt house didn't pay their mortgage, the bank can't take the house because we've been verified and such, it never made sense to me that they could come back and take it anyway but that is apparently how it works.

It is something you should cover in your buyers agreement, if they tell you it is paid, make sure it is in there and they sign it, if you are taking on their payments, make sure that is in there. CYA

The Bill of Sale (sarahavfc) is a good starting point. But if you have a buyer, the answer is, you show whatever paperwork he/she asks for in order to conclude the deal. And (stupidly obvious) don't part with anything until the money is safely in your bank account. The canal world is relatively free of sharks and shysters, but you never know. An honest buyer will never object to you being cautious!

It says on it "In consideration of (**the sum of)

**paid/given to **me/us by:"

What's the difference between paid/given when writing the amount of money exchanged, is it for if the boat's a gift?

If anyone would like to give me a boat as a gift i'd happily accept!!!! :rolleyes:

The "given" option is used where the consideration is something other than money (and "sum of" is deleted"

"In consideration of a caravan, chasis number AB123456 given to me by..."

>The Bill of Sale (sarahavfc) is a good starting point. But if you have a buyer, the answer is, you show whatever paperwork he/she asks for in order to conclude the deal. ...

We discovered a nice narrowboat, great shape, perfect lay-out, four years old, very good price, but although there was a fair amount of paperwork — such as insurance, minor work done, all the manuals, etc. — there were no bills of sale and nothing to show the present 'owner' actually owned it. When I queried it, I got a very complicated story ending with 'well, lots of boats don't have bills of sale and this is just how it is'. As he was the third owner, and the boat was so new, we still couldn't understand how there could be no paperwork to show change of possession — something which surely anyone can draft up with the simple details of the boat, signatures all round and someone to witness it.

So we very reluctantly turned our backs and walked away. And still think about it. Were we fools? My instincts tell me we did what was necessary.

Jim

I bought my boat in 1990.......agreed to buy it, gave the 'owner' a cheque.....and that was it.........don't have any 'proof of ownership' ......but I suppose things are diferent now....mind you back then, you didn't need a mooring, you just tied up somewhere for a while, and stayed if you liked it.

You'll need a Bill of Sale, you can find a copy here.

Thanks for that. Looking back through my paperwork I received a Bill of Sale from the seller but it wasn't an MCA document. Also, do canal boats have to be registered with the MCA or is it just the bill of sale that is needed.

Thanks for that. Looking back through my paperwork I received a Bill of Sale from the seller but it wasn't an MCA document. Also, do canal boats have to be registered with the MCA or is it just the bill of sale that is needed.

You might find these contracts a bit better than the MCA stuff.

Download link HERE

These are the proper recommended contracts and will stand up for both parties legally if the need arises.

The MCA don't really feature in the IW market much.