Driving through floodwater.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

yes its interesting driving though torrents...not something i have ever liked doing (driving through fords etc) plus you never really quite know how deep it is, unless there's a vehicle in front of you....

i know someone who will remain nameless who thought it was a couple of foot deep the other day only to find it was 4/5 foot deep~~~(wasn't me by the way).... as you say, thank god it was a diesel car....it kept going eventually, after drowning out!

:)

Don't suppose that was in Elvington, Yorks. ? They tried to take a short cut across the village green & found the stream that caused the flooding? If so, please let them know it was very amusing to watch (& we're all glad they & their car are o.k., as well)!

I used to love driving my ancient old BX through floods; up went the hydroelastic suspension and off we went ..... I realised I might be getting close to overcooking it the day water fountained through the floor by my pedals. Engine went on forever though - she did well over 150K before I gave it to my mate and now she's done nearly 240K. I can't see my newish C4 notching up that many miles.

At our local flood point two boys with waders were offering to push cars out of the huge and deep puddle. They seemed to be having a whale of a time ...... :)

Jill

During the 1998 easter floods I was coordinating the distribution of sand bags from the highways depot in Towcester. A completely fruitless excercise but the overtime was phenomenal. Didn't compensate for losing my car though.

I received a phone call from the towcester nick saying they were under 4' of water and could we come in our big loader (huge shovel for filling the gritters) to rescue them. I declined their request on the grounds that we were only insured within the depot and we couldn't possibly break the law. The power rush was immense, though the sight of a loader shovel full of rozzers might have been equally satisfying. I did eventually send a wagon to get them.

Liquids can not be compressed. ........

My daughter would argue that point ....(currently studying MSc in fluid dynamics) ...... :rolleyes:

....but for our needs it's a reasonable assumption.

..... Engine went on forever though - she did well over 150K before I gave it to my mate and now she's done nearly 240K.

Jill

My Pug 205 with the same engine has done 340K..... :rolleyes:

I do some part time recovery truck driving......The 'clubs' (they aren't clubs at all, but businesses) and their contractors were inundated with flood water related breakdowns in the early part of last week, the vehicles were hot seated around the clock........

I went out to one family who had been waiting for 13 hours for the lorry to arrive..... :rolleyes:

Yeah, im sure there mega-busy

- People just doing stupid things and expecting there cars to hack it.

- My 7yo 306 petrol has done 145k as well, only another 200k to go...

Daniel

One of the call-outs was a round trip of some 160 miles to a car that had torn off its plastic belly pan and had it wedged underneath..... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

- I dont even have one of them, but if it did happen you just reverse off it or pull/cut it out or whatever! Hardly need a bloody AA van for that!

- Only reall time recently we called anyone out was when the aux crankshaft pulley on the 806 became debonded driving home on devon roads. Scary stuff geting that towed back, fully loaded MPV with 7 people, roof box, etc down one in twos to taunton dean!

Daniel

I used to love driving my ancient old BX through floods; up went the hydroelastic suspension and off we went .....

Jill

my favourite car. We had a GS, followed by three BXs in succession. The 1.9 diesel (peugeot engine) was fantastic,

my favourite car. We had a GS, followed by three BXs in succession. The 1.9 diesel (peugeot engine) was fantastic,

Till they decided to put a turbo on it......up till then it was bomb proof just so long as you kept water in it......

They do not take kindly to water loss. If the red hand 'STOP' sign comes up you must immediatly or you will certainly destroy the cylinder head....

A couple of years ago I was driving me and the missus around the Highlands on hols. Come the day of our return - all the way to Edinburgh from Ullapool, in our titchy Nissan hire care - the heavens opened coast-to-coast, there were landsiides blocking the main routes, and what should have been a nice day-long drive ending in the late evening turned into a most severe bit of cross-country. Around midnight, we'd made it just as far as outside Dundee ("Don't go to Dundee," said one person, "it's underwater") and were trolling along in the pitchest of rain-sodden pitchblackness, when in the headlights the road vanished beneath a large river, a good 30' across to the point where the road rose up out of it again.

I stopped and looked at it, and it looked back at me. There was nowhere to go back to, I knew that once we'd passed Dundee we'd be pretty much home and dry, I had no way of knowing how deep the river was; indeed, whether there was a road still down there at all. I was completely knackered and had the worst case of get-home-itis you can imagine. The missus was chanting Gallic psalms, which only happens when she's preparing for death or the taxman.

I hadn't heard of hydraulic lock back then. So I put my foot down and went for it. The perky Micra gamely surged forward, the nose dipped and...

Got to the other side all right, even though the water came over the headlights (!). The funniest thing was, the automatic flick-faster-when-wetter windscreen wipers, which until that point had maxed out at a fairly brisk once-and-across-a-second even in the most impenetrable walls of rain, acquired a hyperactive blur and hit Warp 8... took a little while for them (and my heartrate) to calm down. Got home way past 1am, parked the car in the only spot remotely close to the flat, came back at 7am to unload and move it - already ticketed. Gotta love those Edinburgh ticket-wallahs.

But yes, a Citroen BX is much more fun.

I always follow the golden rule, never drive through water that is deeper than halfway up the wheel.

Of course, with my Land rover I assume They mean the steering wheel.

And when I had the diesel I took it to mean the spare wheel on the bonnet! (Carl laughs manically and goes to find some water to wade).

Edited to remove the magman-like echo

Build quality started to drop in '69. They should've never moved the headlights.

I had no problem in my Defender 110 last week, the biggest problem was the traffic jams because the police woulnd't let anyone through onto the flooded roads, even in a Land Rover. Got to protect the people who are likely to get stuck I suppose.

Agreed. I've had two BX estates and a Xantia.

Is there a good reason why the XUD wasn't marinated marinised at some stage? Perhaps it was?

It was. Lancing Marine et al. Alternative to Ford for tupperware.