Trip Boat on the Wyrley & Essington

Railay

Featured Posts

Hi all.

A neighbour is helping to organise day trips at his local church and is trying to arrange a trip boat. It needs to be on the Wyrley and Essington canal or nearby and be able to carry about 30-40 people. Any summer weekend can be arranged and there may even be more than one trip needed. The ideal location would be to pick up people at Brownhills, cruise to Anglesey basin and return to pick up point.

If anyone knows of a suitable boat please reply ASAP. He can skipper the boat if neccesary.

He has already contacted Walsall Council about their own trip boat based at Walsall but was told it is no longer available for hire.

Cheers, Norman

Hi all.

A neighbour is helping to organise day trips at his local church and is trying to arrange a trip boat. It needs to be on the Wyrley and Essington canal or nearby and be able to carry about 30-40 people. Any summer weekend can be arranged and there may even be more than one trip needed. The ideal location would be to pick up people at Brownhills, cruise to Anglesey basin and return to pick up point.

If anyone knows of a suitable boat please reply ASAP. He can skipper the boat if neccesary.

Not unless he is an MCA qualified boatmaster he can't!

Hiya Norman!

You could try contacting the NCBA (National Community Boats Association).

I had a look at the Website for the Walsall Enterprise, they hire their boat out for day trips (special rate for people from the Walsall borough) but the boat only holds 12 people.

Hiya Norman!

You could try contacting the NCBA (National Community Boats Association).

I had a look at the Website for the Walsall Enterprise, they hire their boat out for day trips (special rate for people from the Walsall borough) but the boat only holds 12 people.

Cheers Sarah.

I think theres a project called the Wulfruna project which used to be based at Wulfruna coal wharf nr Horseley Junction, I dont have the number or any other details but Im sure they used to do day trips for large numbers.

I went on Walsall Councils trip boat as a school boy for a day trip with Len Wilson steering USK around the Curley Wyrley and being one of the lucky three being allowed to stand on the counter by him as we travelled, I can only imagine what the HSE would have to say about that nowadays.

Oxley Marina in Wolverhampton have two large trip boats, one of them has wheel chair access.

Water Travel Ltd., Autherley Marina, Oxley Moor Road, Wolverhampton, WV9 5HW, 01902 782371

Pretty nice people, they will help if they can.

Meant to say, they are situated on the S&W not far from the bottom of Wolverhampton 21. I'm sure they would take it up to the W&E for you, its only half a day.

Edited by Yamanx

Walsall Council have their own hire boat that does trips from walsall art gallery, it was at last years brownhills boat festival when they opened the new watersports centre, They hire it out. Might be worth contacting the council and asking them.

Oxley Marina in Wolverhampton have two large trip boats, one of them has wheel chair access.

Water Travel Ltd., Autherley Marina, Oxley Moor Road, Wolverhampton, WV9 5HW, 01902 782371

Pretty nice people, they will help if they can.

Meant to say, they are situated on the S&W not far from the bottom of Wolverhampton 21. I'm sure they would take it up to the W&E for you, its only half a day.

I think it might be at Gregorys that the trip boats are moored, they were there about a year ago the last time I went past.

• 2 years later...
I went on Walsall Councils trip boat as a school boy for a day trip with Len Wilson steering USK around the Curley Wyrley and being one of the lucky three being allowed to stand on the counter by him as we travelled, I can only imagine what the HSE would have to say about that nowadays.

Usk, in dry dock, in those happier times:

pic001.jpg