Gas bottle storage

IanR

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

It's highly unlikely that would be compliant.

It was on the last boat i fitted out. So unless it has changed yes it will not be any good. I just cant see where it says any changes in the BSS on this.

Infact it was compliant and was shown how to do it on the previous BSS. as said it may well of been stopped.

I imagine if my proposed gas locker overflowed then the gas would find its way out over the gunwhales around the rear edge of the side cloths. So the weak link in our plan would be the hose connecting the drain, but is it any more fraught with risk than copper pipe and fittings? What fittings would they be for copper, compression and a commercially available hull fitting?

Ian.

45 minutes ago, IanR said:

I imagine if my proposed gas locker overflowed then the gas would find its way out over the gunwhales around the rear edge of the side cloths. So the weak link in our plan would be the hose connecting the drain, but is it any more fraught with risk than copper pipe and fittings? What fittings would they be for copper, compression and a commercially available hull fitting?

Ian.

I dont think I would want solid pipe from the hull side to a fixed box in anything less than welded steel, definitely not copper water pipe especially on an ex working boat,I dont own one but I have watched the hull sides moving with the beat of the engine. I would have thought flexible a much safer bet

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think I would want solid pipe from the hull side to a fixed box in anything less than welded steel, definitely not copper water pipe especially on an ex working boat,I dont own one but I have watched the hull sides moving with the beat of the engine. I would have thought flexible a much safer bet

That was my original thoughts as a bit of hose  won't fatigue with vibration like a solid pipe between two steel faces might.

Thanks for your input folks, I live and learn!

Ian.

20 hours ago, IanR said:

That was my original thoughts as a bit of hose  won't fatigue with vibration like a solid pipe between two steel faces might.

Thanks for your input folks, I live and learn!

Ian.

Maybe worth mentioning that the BSS requires the vent to be no more than 25mm above the lowest point in your locker, though where his can put the drain below the water line - full fuel or water tank for example, then the vent can be a slot, such that there is always an open area.  The area of the vent is also in the BSS and depends upon the max amount of gas that all the bottles that you store in the locker can hold.

upto 18kg - 113mm2 (12mm internal diameter)

19 to 29kg - 154mm2 (14mm internal diameter)

If using copper, then 15mm od pipe has an id of 13.6mm so should fail for 2 x 13kg bottles.

Interestingly, for non-private boats the vent size is a min of 19mm, and if using hose it must by approved hose suitable for LPG.