Morso stove smoke hood

George-Pole

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've just installed my morso squirrel stove and the morso boat flue kit.

In the instructions it says "NOTE: The smoke hood must not be fitted if the flue is less than 4.5M"

with a line drawing of the inside of the stove and just under the top outlet there is a triangular shape marked smoke hood.

I have removed what I think it is - a quarter bowl shaped piece of steel

Can anyone tell me if this is indeed the "Smoke Hood"

1506793959822-1232764168.jpg

12 minutes ago, George-Pole said:

Hi all,

I've just installed my morso squirrel stove and the morso boat flue kit.

In the instructions it says "NOTE: The smoke hood must not be fitted if the flue is less than 4.5M"

with a line drawing of the inside of the stove and just under the top outlet there is a triangular shape marked smoke hood.

I have removed what I think it is - a quarter bowl shaped piece of steel

Can anyone tell me if this is indeed the "Smoke Hood"

1506793959822-1232764168.jpg

Certainly looks like it, but the ones I've removed were held in with a couple of bolts.

21 hours ago, George-Pole said:

Thanks Bizzard, that's good then.

This one just rests on two lugs so just had to spin it quarter turn and it drops down

That's the part as Biz says, a stupid addition to the range. You may also find the silly bit now fitted that makes the ash door open at the same time as the fire door this can also be removed and usualy now there are several washers fitted on the threaded bolt of the lower spinwheel to reduce draught capacity, these also want removing and when all three of these things are changed the stove will operate far better as originaly designed.

When I installed my Squirrel stove the instructions either didn't mention leaving off this baffle, or I didn't spot it. With it in place a lot of ash and clinker builds up on the plate, blocking the chimney in just a few weeks and needing regular cleaning out. The short chimneys on boats mean much less of a draw compared with a house installation and probably leads to this problem. I soon removed the baffle and it has been fine since.

Jen

6 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

When I installed my Squirrel stove the instructions either didn't mention leaving off this baffle, or I didn't spot it. With it in place a lot of ash and clinker builds up on the plate, blocking the chimney in just a few weeks and needing regular cleaning out. The short chimneys on boats mean much less of a draw compared with a house installation and probably leads to this problem. I soon removed the baffle and it has been fine since.

Jen

Problem is its a sort of nanny state intervention. The stoves had none of these features until very recently about only ten years or so. The washers stop the fire drawing as much as does the baffle plate and the stoves are much better in original trim as it were. Too many things are being sanitised and made safer and taking options away from the user.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Problem is its a sort of nanny state intervention. The stoves had none of these features until very recently about only ten years or so. The washers stop the fire drawing as much as does the baffle plate and the stoves are much better in original trim as it were. Too many things are being sanitised and made safer and taking options away from the user.

My stove was installed about ten years ago. Must have been shortly after the baffle plate was introduced, but before Morso realised it was a problem with short flues and added the note in the fitting destructions. I've kept the ash door opening interlock thingy as I've seen someone accidentally get their squirrel stove cherry red with the ash door wide open.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies