Gas installation cost

Redwebb1

Featured Posts

Hi, 

Have been quoted >£700 to have new gas pipe fitted from gas locker to new cooker and replacement  Morco heater (approx 10feet away) They won’t connect to Morco but have no issues installing as far as so we can then do the rest. This includes parts inc bubble tester. 

It it was a fair chunk more than I was expecting, but maybe I was naive, does this sound like a fair price? 

3 minutes ago, Redwebb1 said:

Hi, 

Have been quoted >£700 to have new gas pipe fitted from gas locker to new cooker and replacement  Morco heater (approx 10feet away) They won’t connect to Morco but have no issues installing as far as so we can then do the rest. This includes parts inc bubble tester. 

It it was a fair chunk more than I was expecting, but maybe I was naive, does this sound like a fair price? 

It will greatly depend methinks on accessibility and ease of fitting and length of pipe, how many obstacles to get through etc. Nowts cheap anymore so whats to stop you putting the pipe in place yourself?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably they will not connect it as they are not qualified to do so.

If you are a liveaboard then different regulations apply - any installation should be done to GSIUR regs.

I would talk to another installer who is qualified in LPG with a 'boat' endorsement on his 'ticket'.

Keerect methinks. When I fitted my new shell I ran all the gas pipes and installation and a local gas bod kindly checked everything and did the legal stuff for me.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Keerect methinks. When I fitted my new shell I ran all the gas pipes and installation and a local gas bod kindly checked everything and did the legal stuff for me.

Time and wanting to get right first time stopping me doing it myself, was willing to take some extra cost for this. Have purposefully not fitted worktop/ fixed kitchen units in place to make install as easy as posssible. 

Apparently qualified but more unwilling due to fear of current regs I think, which I think is odd due to being a replacement... 

Finding it difficult to find many options in Worcestershire area without having a days cruise. Worry being that we then get a similar or even worse more expensive quote! They prob will fit the Morco though. 

Edited by Redwebb1

3 minutes ago, Redwebb1 said:

Time and wanting to get right first time stopping me doing it myself, was willing to take some extra cost for this. Have purposefully not fitted worktop/ fixed kitchen units in place to make install as easy as posssible. 

Apparently qualified but more unwilling due to fear of current regs I think, which I think is odd due to being a replacement... 

Finding it difficult to find many options in Worcestershire area without having a days cruise. Worry being that we then get a similar or even worse more expensive quote! They prob will fit the Morco though. 

Yes its never easy is it working out when to pay and when to do so to speak. Its the usual story of the Bring out another thousand!!

Have used a product called Tracpipe from B.E.S. in my sailaway. A stainless steel sheathed pipe with no memory so can easily be gently molded through bulkheads and obstructions. It was recommended by my local (Cornwall) Marine gas fitter. Whilst requiring their own brand fittings was extremely easy for me to run the pipe as a continuous length from the gas locker to my cooker clipping in place with pipe clips. Final connections both ends including valves, taps and flexible to cooker etc under £200 plus the pipe  and manual change over kit for £300 (which includes test point). Whilst a new product it has been accepted by the BSS.