Burgled at Brum

Big Steve

Featured Posts

Recently travelling from Hawne basin to Stainforth, decided to stop overnight at the Tyburn House pub, next to the junction of the A452 and A38, in Birmingham.

Had a few pints and a curry, fell into bed, only to be awakened by odd noises at 0045. Then saw torchlight. Thought my pal, in the forward cabin must be having problems, so got up to see what was going on. As I entered the cabin, I saw a youth with his head and shoulders throught the top lite of the window, only 8" wide, rummaging through stuff on the worktop, fortunately only discarded carry out cartons, I yelled and leapt towards him, ( I don't do leaping very well) but he was away before I could get to him. My pal , who was sleeping only 2' from the window, which was smashed, then woke up to ask what's all the yelling about?

Phoned the police who arrived promptly, and just as we discovered we had been set adrift too. The police helped us to get back to the bank, then took statements. They warned us that, and I quote, this area was the biggest shithole in Birmingham. So be warned, don't overnight near here.

Currently stuck at Shardlow waiting for the Trent level to fall. :cheers:

Recently travelling from Hawne basin to Stainforth, decided to stop overnight at the Tyburn House pub, next to the junction of the A452 and A38, in Birmingham.

Is that the one on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal where you first encounter anti-vandal locks on the locks ?

That pub looks great but have heard stories of the council estate that lies behind it :cheers:

Boats have been set adrift when forced to moor there because they couldn't find/didn't have an anti-vandal key

I think they should open the canal up to the A38 more so perhaps passing police patrols could keep an eye on boats moored along it

(albeit at 70mph :cheers: )

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Thankfully not a common occurrence

But i'm sure it scared the sh#t out of you

I once had a run in with a pervert in Gas Street basin in the early hours of the morning and chased him off . But No sleep for me that night or the people on the NB he was perving :cheers:

I think you may be at Shardlow for some judging from the weather forcast

Though Shardlow is a nice place with appropriate provision for drowning your sorrows :D

Simon

I know the area well and would never moor behind the Tyburn. This is mainly because I think it is one of the worst pubs in the area. That's my personal opinion and may well be out of date as the last time I went there was to see Dave Swarbrick and Whippersnapper - who had only just been formed.

The local housing estate is Castle Vale and your policeman is a bit behind the times. It used to be the biggest shithole in Brum but gave up that title about 10 years ago when they pulled down the tower blocks and decanted a lot of the residents. I still wouldn't want to live on there ( I did for a short time and worked there for about a year) but would choose it over some of the other places that Birmingham can boast.

The biggest problem with mooring behind the Tyburn is that it is close to a lot of dodgy areas. There's Castle Vale and Pype Hayes, Walmley/Minworth just down the road and you are just along the canal from the Showcase cinema which is the local car-theft hot spot.

Best tactic would have been to either moor for a short time at the Showcase and get a takeaway from the Kingsbury Balti opposite, or take a short walk up to the India Gardens if you want a sit-down meal and then move the boat afterwards; or moor down by Minworth middle lock and get a takeaway from Chilli Spice on the Kingsbury Road. Either way I would cruise down an extra mile to moor at the back of the Kingsley or 2 miles to the cutting behind the White Horse. Both better pubs and both do reasonable meals.

And if I remember correctly ( and these days my memory is something that can't be relied on ) you need an anti-vandal ( "water conservation" :cheers: ) key to reach the Tyburn. Unless you do what most of the locals do which is to give the top of the mechanism a sharp tap with your windlass at which point they spring open. The vandals just tap them with a brick.

And you had better not drive past at 70 mph. The speed limit on that part of the A38 is 40 and there's a camera!

Norman

Edited for crap typing

Edited by Norman Bond

Is that the one on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal where you first encounter anti-vandal locks on the locks ?

That pub looks great but have heard stories of the council estate that lies behind it :cheers:

Boats have been set adrift when forced to moor there because they couldn't find/didn't have an anti-vandal key

I think they should open the canal up to the A38 more so perhaps passing police patrols could keep an eye on boats moored along it

(albeit at 70mph :cheers: )

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Thankfully not a common occurrence

But i'm sure it scared the sh#t out of you

I once had a run in with a pervert in Gas Street basin in the early hours of the morning and chased him off . But No sleep for me that night or the people on the NB he was perving :cheers:

I think you may be at Shardlow for some judging from the weather forcast

Though Shardlow is a nice place with appropriate provision for drowning your sorrows :D

Simon

couldnt have put in any better myself.

The pub was once a fine place.........back when it was a frequented by Dick Turpin.

Which is quite ironic as its full of modern day dicks.

An extra 30-60 mins cruising towards curdworth would have been a better option.

Slightly off topic but related to the casting adrift problem.

Does anyone use their anchor on the opposite side to the bank to minimise the effect of being cast adrift? I'm particularly thinking of at night whilst asleep.

If this is a dumb comment please ignore.

I agree with all that have posted. I worked in the area for three years and personally would not moor overnight anywhere on the city side of Wiggins Hill Bridge. It has the compensation of having a pub alongside a bit "chain" style but better than nothing and reasonably secure.

Tony.

Anchor is irelevant on a canal. Even if you are cast adrift there is no flow to speak of so you'll not go far. Would only be a problem on a river where drifting down on the flow could be a serious issue.

I wasn't referring specifically to a canal... I thought this might be a sensible thing to do moored on any moving water no matter how slight the flow...

btw, as an example, I'm not sure it would be irrelevant on all parts of the K&A.

"Does anyone use their anchor on the opposite side to the bank to minimise the effect of being cast adrift? I'm particularly thinking of at night whilst asleep.

If this is a dumb comment please ignore."

All the time - a big beast of an anchor when I am on a river, and a little one on a canal - even without a current the wind can take a boat a long way - I just dont need the shock of waking up in middle of the night to all the fuss!

Nice to see the comments folks, the police also said I'd have been much safer to go a mile further towards Minworth, but didn't know until it was too late. Hope this warns other cruisers, also might explain why there is not easy access to the Tyburn from the canal.

• 2 weeks later...

Phoned the police who arrived promptly, and just as we discovered we had been set adrift too. The police helped us to get back to the bank, then took statements. They warned us that, and I quote, this area was the biggest shithole in Birmingham. So be warned, don't overnight near here.

In 2001 after a long day from Taddebigge with the pair we could not resist the Tyburn House for a pint. Our plan was 2 pints then through to Curdworth.

Left dogs in butty cabin but after 45 mins came back and motor cabin was ransacked.

If travelling this way as a guide do not stop between Lea Marston (one above Dog & doublet) and Cuckoo Wharf or better still all way into Brum.

aye if in doubt about a mooring then carry on I say...

if an area looks dodgey then don't stop...

i had an eposode with a pervert on the worcester and birmingham canal, at the offerton locks.... the police told me that there were one or two operating in this area....and a friend who used to moor in Brum told me she had an incident under a canal bridge with one.... he did his thing.....she stood there with her push chair then he ran away...

all very odd... one can laugh afterwards but at the time your mind is racing..... quite scary stuff...