Domestic water not being heated

RogerDis

Featured Posts

Since our Barrus 2000 overheated because of a split pipe between the skin tank and the calorifier, the water heated by the engine isn't getting to the calorifier. The whole system was flushed through and refilled when the split pipe was replaced. The guy who did that job has been back to see if the problem is an air-lock. He did shift a small amount of air from the system, but believes now that there is no more. The header tank remains full when the engine is run. The skin tank likewise.

Can anyone here think of anything that we might have missed, please?

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't they have a separate calorifier thermostat? If so the overheat may have caused it to vent wax so now it is not opening.

Our Shire does. OP may not as he said hose between calorifier and the skin tank, dual thermostat engines run separate hoses between engine and cal and engine and skin tank, don't they?

Ian.

14 hours ago, ianali said:

Our Shire does. OP may not as he said hose between calorifier and the skin tank, dual thermostat engines run separate hoses between engine and cal and engine and skin tank, don't they?

Ian.

Unless its a return hose that will not help hot water circulate. I'd much rather the main feed to the calorifier came from the engine side of the thermostat, typically from a tapping in the head. If both hoses do run from the skin tank or skin tank hose there is little to circulate the water through the calorifier.

18 hours ago, RogerDis said:

Since our Barrus 2000 overheated because of a split pipe between the skin tank and the calorifier, the water heated by the engine isn't getting to the calorifier. The whole system was flushed through and refilled when the split pipe was replaced. The guy who did that job has been back to see if the problem is an air-lock. He did shift a small amount of air from the system, but believes now that there is no more. The header tank remains full when the engine is run. The skin tank likewise.

Can anyone here think of anything that we might have missed, please?

Barrus Shires have 2 stop valves on the engine on the flow & return to the calorifier. Check that these are both open as they may have been shut when your pipe repair was done.

• 2 months later...

I'm so sorry! I didn't know that there had been any replies to this - I got no notification. Thanks for the advice. The problem has been solved, but I'll remember what you've suggested should it happen again. The guy I paid to solve the problem had a hell of a job! I don't think he knew your solution!