Calorifier prv

Featured Posts

Hi, 

Calorifier in centre of boat with no logical place to send prv. Do not want to drain into otherwise dry bilge. Very close to bathroom and associated pipes and skin fittings. 

Should I:

A: install own skin fitting for prv drain?

B: T into bath gulper pipe, after pump (right by skin fitting) 

C: vent prv into bath tub itself, so I can see if it is outputting? Or would this risk scalding an innocent bather? 

D: vent to container which can be emptied as necessary? 

A

Edit: but if you have a NRV on the cold feed to the calorifier to prevent hot water backing up the cold pipe, then you should also T in a hot water expansion vessel somewhere between the NRV and calorifier otherwise your PRV might constantly bleed hot water over the side.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Personally I would go for A.

B there is a very small chance you could contaminate your domestic water with bath water.

C I doubt you would scald anyone but it rather depends upon the length of pipe run and if it has a dip in it to hold cooled water. It may be difficult to make a neat job of it.

D fine until someone forgets to empty it/

E run the pipe back to the tank side of the domestic water pump.

A couple of points...

1) A PRV on a correctly working system never discharges water (or anything else!)

2) In a house, the PRV discharge terminal is required to be visible so the householder notices when it discharges.

3) The PRV discharge can be steam under certain extreme fault conditions, so needs to be in a safe location.

Consequently I think it is best to locate the discharge somewhere you will at least notice, should it discharge.

The PRV on my own calorifier discharges into the sump under the stern gland, which contains an automatic bilge pump.