Mind yer 'ead!

Featured Posts

Anyone have a rough estimate of headroom you can expect to find on a narrow boat? I understand it will vary some between boats but it may be of importance. You see my brother is 6' 4" tall, at least, and were not sure he's done growing. His height could put a tad bit of a damper on our plan to move the family to boats. I have thought about having one built to accomodate him (although I know that will probably limit their cruising area) however it is a bit cost prohibitive and seems a waste seeing as mum and him will probably rarely leave bankside.

Seems rather silly but the prospects of finding them a home they can afford when we try to come back are bleak and I'm not comfortable, neither is mum, with the idea of leaving them here with no one to depend on. Mum, being recently divorced, isn't good at tackling the problems that can pop up around a house you see. At least with them in the same country I can get back cheaply and quickly.

The guy we bought our boat from was 6'4, he had to stoop slightly when moving about, but you don't spend 100% of the time standing up inside, my son is over six foot but then he is a teenager and spends most of his time inside lying down.

Anyone have a rough estimate of headroom you can expect to find on a narrow boat? I understand it will vary some between boats but it may be of importance. You see my brother is 6' 4" tall, at least, and were not sure he's done growing. His height could put a tad bit of a damper on our plan to move the family to boats. I have thought about having one built to accomodate him (although I know that will probably limit their cruising area)

I'm 6'5" (+) and Bath Narrowboats built Epiphany for us with about 6'7" headroom, by dropping the floor (not increasing the draught), and it's quite common these days. That won't limit our cruising area - but the roof boxes might!

I'm a short-arse, so head room hasn't been a particular problem for me. However, as my brother and my best mate are well over 6ft I've always checked and I've seen internal heights from 6ft to 6ft7.

(My personal main 'head height' issue is smashing my head on the cratch board when going out the bow doors!)

I hadn't realised until recently but by going for 'cruiser style' hand rails on the roof rather than a 'tradtional style' hand rails you can gain approx 1.5'' of additional headroom inside the cabin. Obvious when you think about it but I'd missed it completly.

Anyone have a rough estimate of headroom you can expect to find on a narrow boat? I understand it will vary some between boats but it may be of importance. You see my brother is 6' 4" tall, at least, and were not sure he's done growing. His height could put a tad bit of a damper on our plan to move the family to boats. I have thought about having one built to accomodate him (although I know that will probably limit their cruising area) however it is a bit cost prohibitive and seems a waste seeing as mum and him will probably rarely leave bankside.

Seems rather silly but the prospects of finding them a home they can afford when we try to come back are bleak and I'm not comfortable, neither is mum, with the idea of leaving them here with no one to depend on. Mum, being recently divorced, isn't good at tackling the problems that can pop up around a house you see. At least with them in the same country I can get back cheaply and quickly.

The 'Northwich Traders' built by R W Davis have ample headroom - even in the engine 'ole and 'Boatmans Cabin' but they are quite deep - we have just removed a ton of ballast to reduce our static draught to 34 inches . . .

Link to my 'Northwich Traders' web pages

This is another question that comes up regularly, there is a considerable variation in headroom of boats from the various builders. 6ft 4ins seems to be a general sort of maximum for a 'standard' boat, adding extra height would be very expensive though at the fitting out stage it is possible to add a couple of inches simply by omitting the timber floor beams and fixing the flooring directly to the steel beams.

Try a 'Search' - 'Headroom'

Hi

My friend is 6'-4" and hunted around 2 years ago for a shell builder with enough head room, he came up with Stirling which give him about 3" clearance in his sail away. He also has plenty of head room on our boat but we have a 32" draught for the vintage engine big prop so do have plenty of height. So if looking at new/second hand good head room is available but it would be a case of asking the builder/vendor.

david

Hi

My friend is 6'-4" and hunted around 2 years ago for a shell builder with enough head room, he came up with Stirling which give him about 3" clearance in his sail away. He also has plenty of head room on our boat but we have a 32" draught for the vintage engine big prop so do have plenty of height. So if looking at new/second hand good head room is available but it would be a case of asking the builder/vendor.

david

Liverpool boats have a quite pronounced bow in the roof which gives plenty of headroom for someone of 6ft 5"

I'm 6'5" (+) and Bath Narrowboats built Epiphany for us with about 6'7" headroom, by dropping the floor (not increasing the draught), and it's quite common these days. That won't limit our cruising area - but the roof boxes might!

You are my hero, I'm 6'5" and repeated impacts to the forehead have left me deranged, I only pray someone else doesn't have to go through my suffering. Quack.