Transport overseas

VMDG

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

We're newbies looking at buying a boat (canal boat with an engine rather than sailing boat) in England and taking it to France.
(They seem to be better kept here from what we saw last week in France & previously in England!)

1. Does anyone know of reputable providers of transport for taking a boat from England to France please?
  2. Is it cheaper to get a transport company to do this rather than ask someone to "sail" it to France?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback....

Newbie here ;-)

We haven't bought the boat yet, so don't have size info.
The type will be a canal / river boat, i.e. one with an engine not a sail, but not a narrow boat.
Current viewings have been in the 8-12 metre size.
Hope that helps.

If you are interested in 'sailing' it to France then I guess that if the boat is young enough to be CE marked it's category should be shown on the plate.  The categories are - 

‘A’ OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

‘B’ OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

I would not attempt to sail a cat D across to France.  See what cat the boat you are interested in and then ask on here if it is suitable to sail over in good weather.

Your insurance company will also have to be consulted.

48 minutes ago, VMDG said:

Hi folks,

We're newbies looking at buying a boat (canal boat with an engine rather than sailing boat) in England and taking it to France.
(They seem to be better kept here from what we saw last week in France & previously in England!)

1. Does anyone know of reputable providers of transport for taking a boat from England to France please?
  2. Is it cheaper to get a transport company to do this rather than ask someone to "sail" it to France?

Many thanks in advance.

Are you aware of the French requirements re skipper training and maximum engine power? E.G CENVI Certificate.

Be very wary about taking a boat from the UK to the continent with even a small amount of red diesel in its tank.

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you aware of the French requirements re skipper training and maximum engine power? E.G CENVI Certificate.

Be very wary about taking a boat from the UK to the continent with even a small amount of red diesel in its tank.

Do you mean CEVNI. 

You probably also need qualifications to sail it yourself across the channel. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes and I very much doubt it as long as the boat is equipped for its length as specified by the MCGA. I think its life rafts and things.

I was always under the impression you needed documents to prove evidence of competence, which is why I've never taken our yacht (cos I'm incompetent). Things may be different for power boats, I must admit. 

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

The RYA would like you to believe that for the benefit of their franchisees. The UK seems very happy for idiots to drown themselves.

I thought it was the French that required it(ICC) , along with CEVNI if venturing inland. 

If not, that's my summer sorted, I'm off to France. 

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Hi & thanks,

Yes-we're taking CEVNI training in 2 weeks to become certified.

Hadn't heard about any max. engine power though? Do you have any more info on that please?

38 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Also, what is the red diesel comment about please? Safety or other regs?
(Sorry-complete novice here ;-)  )

35 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Do you mean CEVNI. 

You probably also need qualifications to sail it yourself across the channel. 

We'd look to get it transported....

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

If you are interested in 'sailing' it to France then I guess that if the boat is young enough to be CE marked it's category should be shown on the plate.  The categories are - 

‘A’ OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

‘B’ OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

I would not attempt to sail a cat D across to France.  See what cat the boat you are interested in and then ask on here if it is suitable to sail over in good weather.

Your insurance company will also have to be consulted.

Hi,

Many thanks for that.

The aim would be for category D or worst case, C.

We'd have it transported.

56 minutes ago, VMDG said:

Hi & thanks,

Yes-we're taking CEVNI training in 2 weeks to become certified.

Hadn't heard about any max. engine power though? Do you have any more info on that please?

Also, what is the red diesel comment about please? Safety or other regs?
(Sorry-complete novice here ;-)  )

We'd look to get it transported....

3. private boats are not allowed to use red diesel in the EU and I think UK boaters have been prosecuted in Holland or Belgium even though they only bought white diesel on the continent. The tracer compound hangs arpund for a long time even if you have filled with white diesel.

2. I have a feeling the French have such regulations so I would like you to check before spending money.