Featured Posts

Having just changed engine coolant I now only get Luke warm water from the calorifier. I assume an air lock? Calorifier is in engine bay horizontal, top of calorifier is about 10 Inches above engine top. 2 hoses from engine to calorifier. Hose from top of cal to engine is getting fairly hot, though not as hot as skin hose. Bottom hose from cal no warmth at all. Suggestions please ? Cheers Ian .

Edited by ianali

It does sound like an air lock. Find the highest point in system and let the air out. This may mean opening a plumbing joint, or removing a hose. If you are really lucky there is a bleed point already fitted. Getting the air out may involve partially opening the joint with the engine running, or pouring more coolant in at open joints and jamming it back together with the engine off. Stay safe and watch out for hot water and moving engine parts.

Jen

Most likely an air lock. Sometimes (if you're lucky) I can clear it by revving the engine - a little bit of water pressure can flush the air away. Otherwise it's a matter of slackening the hose connections somewhat to let any trapped air out. In extremis I have resorted to taking the filler cap off the header tank - which you should have - but often is never fitted...... and blowing - as if you were playing an Euphonium...

(NOT the engine header tank...)

(as Jen said as I was typing)

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Most likely an air lock. Sometimes (if you're lucky) I can clear it by revving the engine - a little bit of water pressure can flush the air away. Otherwise it's a matter of slackening the hose connections somewhat to let any trapped air out. In extremis I have resorted to taking the filler cap off the header tank - which you should have - but often is never fitted...... and blowing - as if you were playing an Euphonium...

(NOT the engine header tank...)

(as Jen said as I was typing)

Interesting.. Il give it a blow this afternoon . Thanks .

2 hours ago, ianali said:

Thanks Jen. Have thought about this route but wanted to avoid spraying liquid everywhere... Oh well it'l clean up. Can this be done with engine running but still cold? Would avoid hot liquid. Thanks.

Yes, it could be done cold.

If you have a header tank higher than the calorifier, then you should be able to bleed the system cold without the engine running.  If your header is below the calorifier your only chance is to blow the air out by cracking a joint at the high point, letting the engine heat up, and using; the pressure created as it warms up to blow out the air.  I had to do the same on a car where the passenger compartment heater matrix was higher than the filler cap.

So tried above ideas, no better. Header tank is high point of system. Have cracked joints and ran engine. Liquid out no sign of air. Run engine for good half hour with cap off. Wondered if running engine whilst restricting flow from skin tank to engine might increase flow through calorifier thus purging any air locks may work? Obviously would keep an eye on engine temp guage? 

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:26, ianali said:

Having just changed engine coolant I now only get Luke warm water from the calorifier. I assume an air lock? Calorifier is in engine bay horizontal, top of calorifier is about 10 Inches above engine top. 2 hoses from engine to calorifier. Hose from top of cal to engine is getting fairly hot, though not as hot as skin hose. Bottom hose from cal no warmth at all. Suggestions please ? Cheers Ian .

Just a question no one has asked, did you premix your new antifreeze with water before putting it in the engine, if you just put an amount of antifreeze in first, then topped up with water this could cause a problem with circulation. Don't ask me how I know !!

Bazza

29 minutes ago, Bazza954 said:

Just a question no one has asked, did you premix your new antifreeze with water before putting it in the engine, if you just put an amount of antifreeze in first, then topped up with water this could cause a problem with circulation. Don't ask me how I know !!

Bazza

Thanks for the thought Bazza. Yes mixed it first.. I think I may have got somewhere today. I detached and lifted my header tank about a foot higher than its normal location. Ran engine and had a bit of air come out.. Seems to be heating up a lot better now. Cheers Ian . 

15 minutes ago, ianali said:

Thanks for the thought Bazza. Yes mixed it first.. I think I may have got somewhere today. I detached and lifted my header tank about a foot higher than its normal location. Ran engine and had a bit of air come out.. Seems to be heating up a lot better now. Cheers Ian . 

Great news, hope all goes ok from now.

bazza