Wide boat boating..?

rivergate

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

But by your reasoning a narrow boat is too wide for the Oxford.

I dont quite see your point its too deep for me ( not the canal ) To sum up the A and C takes big boats and the Oxford takes tiny little boats like my 68 foot at present narrowboat. In the scheme of things narrowboats are tiny craft well suited to tiny waterways like the Oxford the K and A and the Grand union. Ive never seen the Humber Pride on the Grand union but I would suggest its well worth keeping out of its way.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont quite see your point its too deep for me ( not the canal ) To sum up the A and C takes big boats and the Oxford takes tiny little boats like my 68 foot at present narrowboat. In the scheme of things narrowboats are tiny craft well suited to tiny waterways like the Oxford the K and A and the Grand union. Ive never seen the Humber Pride on the Grand union but I would suggest its well worth keeping out of its way.

Yes it would make a grand sight wouldnt it the narrowboaters would have something to complain about then

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2017 at 20:28, mrsmelly said:

My point is clear enough, you basically said that boats that actually fit the locks and bridge holes etc of canals such as the G.U. and the K&A are too big for it. By the same token it follows that boats that actually fit the locks and bridge holes of narrow canals must be too big for them.

I've taken 'Petra' along the length of the K&A many a time without incident and without difficulty. I've only taken her as far as Marsworth but I know other Dutch barge owners who have taken their barges well past Braunston. 'Petra'at 66' x 12' on either of these canals is, by scale, actually smaller than your narrow boat on a narrow canal. Now do you see?

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, been busy doing other things.

Keith.

2 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

My point is clear enough, you basically said that boats that actually fit the locks and bridge holes etc of canals such as the G.U. and the K&A are too big for it. By the same token it follows that boats that actually fit the locks and bridge holes of narrow canals must be too big for them.

I've taken 'Petra' along the length of the K&A many a time without incident and without difficulty. I've only taken her as far as Marsworth but I know other Dutch barge owners who have taken their barges well past Braunston. 'Petra'at 66' x 12' on either of these canals is, by scale, actually smaller than your narrow boat on a narrow canal. Now do you see?

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, been busy doing other things.

Keith.

Hi Keith

Yes I am cool with that now I see your point size wise.

Cheers