Readings from Batteries at each end of boat

jono2.0

Featured Posts

Hi,  I have a Victron BVMV-700 measuring my leisure batteries with a shunt etc., t works really well.  I also have a starter battery in the stern battery box that is run from a lower powered alternator.  I have another battery run in parallel from the engine battery some 58 foot away in a bow thruster area at the bow.

Will I be able to measure these batteries using another Victron BMV-700 and if so how on earth would I do it!

1 hour ago, jono2.0 said:

Hi,  I have a Victron BVMV-700 measuring my leisure batteries with a shunt etc., t works really well.  I also have a starter battery in the stern battery box that is run from a lower powered alternator.  I have another battery run in parallel from the engine battery some 58 foot away in a bow thruster area at the bow.

Will I be able to measure these batteries using another Victron BMV-700 and if so how on earth would I do it!

Wired the same way as your house batteries; Only the shunt is connected to the negative side of the battery bank on the bank you want to monitor.  However it's not worth monitoring starter or bow thruster batteries IMHO as they hardy get used and the BMV will be totally inaccurate on them anyhow.   You could just monitor the voltage?

However you could wire your batteries up better.  What other sources of charging do you have other than alternator?

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Wired the same way as your house batteries; Only the shunt is connected to the negative side of the battery bank on the bank you want to monitor.  However it's not worth monitoring starter or bow thruster batteries IMHO as they hardy get used and the BMV will be totally inaccurate on them anyhow.   You could just monitor the voltage?

That's what I do. I have 3 banks connected to my monitor but only the domestics go through a shunt. The other two are just monitored for voltage which is all you really need.

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

You've got it wired up wrong. 

Why do you say that?  It displays both the voltage and the hours since reset and total hours as per the manual.  This was fitted by the boat builder.

Just now, jono2.0 said:

Why do you say that?  It displays both the voltage and the hours since reset and total hours as per the manual.  This was fitted by the boat builder.

It was a joke. 

"The rev counter displays the voltage". The rev counter is supposed to display the revs.