Moving from North to South....

Tipnturn

Featured Posts

Being based on said 'mercurial' river , I have never failed to find a mooring even on Friday or Saturday nights in the height of Summer, I have, on occasions needed to breast-up but that's not the end of the world.

I have never found the river to be mercurial during the Summer - it can be a bit 'moody' in the Winter tho'.

I've never been aboard a widebeam (except when unloading coal onto one for the NBT), or on much of the wide northern waters, but would definitely agree that anyone planning to CC on one should find the northern waters a nicer experience, because much less crowded. For this purpose the OP's location in the East Midlands is very much part of the north of course.

What seems to have been missed is that the OP said:

"Would be looking to sell the boat or put her on a winter mooring in September"

There's a general concensus that boats (narrow or wide) sell for higher prices in the south, because although moorings and a lot else are more expensive, there's still more demand due to people wanting to live aboard down here, especially in London but other areas too. So if the OP decides on selling it, two grand to move the boat south can be seen as an investment. Then it just becomes a question of whether he wants to do his summer of CC'ing in the north or south.

Spot on Peter. I'm a little more pragmatic than simply spending the money to go drink beer in Essex. I can do that any weekend :) I've been looking around and it does seem that for selling at least there is quite a difference in demand between the busier South and North (realistically we all know that the South is essentially the GU and KA etc). I'll keep looking into it. Thanks for the reply.

Being based on said 'mercurial' river , I have never failed to find a mooring even on Friday or Saturday nights in the height of Summer, I have, on occasions needed to breast-up but that's not the end of the world.

I have never found the river to be mercurial during the Summer - it can be a bit 'moody' in the Winter tho'.

Well my experience is limited admittedly, that's why I have asked :) i just get nervous coming alongside plastic boats in my one at moorings :)

I also have no experience of widebeam cruising.

What I do have is experience of being a liveaboard, moored for a couple of years at the very same marina as the OP when I worked nearby (In fact I think we have chatted at the bus-stop) and for the last 3 years as a continuous cruiser.

So what I would say is that until you've had a good while out CC-ing, you don't know what you are missing. While you can imagine the potential difficulties, you may not altogether appreciate the wonderful sense of freedom it gives you. It may even be that once you have had a good season out here, you decide not to sell up in September. Living aboard in a marina, or even on a permanent mooring is just so very different to a CC lifestyle.

As for the north/south divide, I would not find much to choose, really. The north is lovely and quiet, but there will be issues with the length of your boat. The south far busier, but still some great enjoyment to be had. £2k is another year's licence, insurance and fuel for a decent cruise, so I'd think twice about spending it now on moving the boat south.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the freedom and have a great trip.

Forums need more people like you and less wanting to argue the toss over what constitutes 'The North' smiley_offtopic.gif Seriously though, I would love that to be the case. CC'ing was out for me before as single-handing on rivers isn't an option for me on this tank. I also have to balance it around my freelance work. I am though thoroughly looking forward to getting off a marina berth and seeing more of the scenery and waterways up here. It may be moot if a new contract comes up in London, but for now I am feeling like there is a lot of water up this way I've yet to see....Thanks for the reply and wishes!

Well my experience is limited admittedly, that's why I have asked smile.png i just get nervous coming alongside plastic boats in my one at moorings smile.png

It can be done - but - the only 'frightening / difficult' part of the Trent singlehanded is holding your boat in the locks, it is no problem 'going down' but when you come to 'go-up' the boat takes some 'holding' against the in-rush on those big locks.

We are a 14 foot beam, but there are normally two of us so its only a problem outside 'business hours' when SWMBO has to go up and operate the lock.

It can be done - but - the only 'frightening / difficult' part of the Trent singlehanded is holding your boat in the locks, it is no problem 'going down' but when you come to 'go-up' the boat takes some 'holding' against the in-rush on those big locks.

We are a 14 foot beam, but there are normally two of us so its only a problem outside 'business hours' when SWMBO has to go up and operate the lock.

Yeah funny enough locking isn't the part that worried me! More getting the old bus on a tricky mooring without anyone to grab the centre line! I still have a lot of work commitments and the dog to think about so planning to spend the summer cruising now I've got another pair of hands to crew for me :)

I have, and am certainly warming to the idea. There is of course more to the decision than I posted, partly due to work and also to the potential sale of the boat. My main concern, having cruised up here a bit is the somewhat mercurial river and the lack of online moorings during the summer smile.png However, i have to say, you're winning me over!

We have never found there to be a lack of moorings on the Trent.

If you think there is a lack of moorings in the relatively quiet North, how do you expect to find one in the busy South?

If you think there is a lack of moorings in the relatively quiet North, how do you expect to find one in the busy South?

How big is your boat?

Because in the 'busy South' I'd be mooring online on broad canals, as opposed to cruising predominantly on the rivers here....

Because in the 'busy South' I'd be mooring online on broad canals, as opposed to cruising predominantly on the rivers here....

Surely you will not be CCing purely on the Trent/Witham - its only a couple of days 'end-to-end', once you are off the Trent you arethen onto the Northern broad canals.

Surely you will not be CCing purely on the Trent/Witham - its only a couple of days 'end-to-end', once you are off the Trent you arethen onto the Northern broad canals.

It would be nice to explore the broad canals, but I need to stay relatively close to Nottingham for work. So I will be on the Trent and the Soar for the bulk of the time. Really, I was just interested if there was anyone with a similar size craft and if so how they had found CC in this area. If there are no real challenges or pinch points to be aware of, then great, I'm happy.

£2 grand to move a widebeam is a tad optimistic. Have you actually had a formal quotation? I just had mine moved (57 x 12) from Warks Avon to the Nene and it cost over £3k. That was the best I could find and I shopped around for about a month. Often they'll give you a cheap quotes over the phone but when it comes to a formal quote or booking it comes to nearly twice the price. A lot depends on whether your boat is too heavy for boat yard cranes. Most only lift about 25 tonnes. My boat is about 30, but if yours can be lifted by yard cranes then perhaps £2k will cover it.

It would be nice to explore the broad canals, but I need to stay relatively close to Nottingham for work. So I will be on the Trent and the Soar for the bulk of the time. Really, I was just interested if there was anyone with a similar size craft and if so how they had found CC in this area. If there are no real challenges or pinch points to be aware of, then great, I'm happy.

Anywhere on the northern canals and rivers is close to Nottingham if you are prepared to travel by train.

Anywhere on the northern canals and rivers is close to Nottingham if you are prepared to travel by train.

I work freelance and need to be able to get to locations around the county so driving is my only real option. I also work on a short notice/On call basis so hence why I need to spend most my time relatively close to Notts.

£2 grand to move a widebeam is a tad optimistic. Have you actually had a formal quotation? I just had mine moved (57 x 12) from Warks Avon to the Nene and it cost over £3k. That was the best I could find and I shopped around for about a month. Often they'll give you a cheap quotes over the phone but when it comes to a formal quote or booking it comes to nearly twice the price. A lot depends on whether your boat is too heavy for boat yard cranes. Most only lift about 25 tonnes. My boat is about 30, but if yours can be lifted by yard cranes then perhaps £2k will cover it.

Yup that was from Ray at Streethay Wharf. Mine is 28 tonne so that's good info, thank you. To be honest the cost has already got me cringing and work is likely to make staying in this area more practical (hard to tell as I start a new contract in Feb!).

I work freelance and need to be able to get to locations around the county so driving is my only real option. I also work on a short notice/On call basis so hence why I need to spend most my time relatively close to Notts.

Yup that was from Ray at Streethay Wharf. Mine is 28 tonne so that's good info, thank you. To be honest the cost has already got me cringing and work is likely to make staying in this area more practical (hard to tell as I start a new contract in Feb!).

If this is the case how would your commute from the south work?

Hello everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong section!

Currently moored in a marina in the East Midlands on my 65 x 10 Widebeam and living aboard. Considering a lift out and truck down to Watford with view to cruising the GU, K & A, and possibly the Lee/Stort (got friends in Essex). Planning to CC rather than marina life (have got a bit bored of the same view of the same boat out my window every morning).

It's about a 2 grand investment to move the boat and am keen to hear from anyone currently CC'ing on the network there in a widebeam or similar. How is it during the season for finding mooring sites, places to leave the car, pumping out/diesel, general community, etc...basically any insights at all are appreciated....along with any recommendations for particularly nice spots etc. Would be looking to sell the boat or put her on a winter mooring in September, would it add to the value potentially to be in the South (where there might be more demand for a boat of this size and spec?).

Alternatively, how does cruising the North compare?

Thanks very much!

Apologies for any confusion, I think several of the replies (mine certainly) were based on the thought of you CCing around either the North or the South, it was not realised that you were just looking to move about a bit, but stay close to Nottingham.

I was thinking you would be using the River to get to the Northern canals.

CCing on the River will never work as it is only 48 hour moorings, you will be moving the boat almost every day and getting further and further away from your car & work.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Apologies for any confusion, I think several of the replies (mine certainly) were based on the thought of you CCing around either the North or the South, it was not realised that you were just looking to move about a bit, but stay close to Nottingham.

I was thinking you would be using the River to get to the Northern canals.

CCing on the River will never work as it is only 48 hour moorings, you will be moving the boat almost every day and getting further and further away from your car & work.

No the goal posts have apparently changed now and he doesn't need to go to work he is freelance. So CCing in the North should be no more problematic then CCing in the South rolleyes.gif