Route Planning

Moley

Featured Posts

I've got an overall map of all UK waterways, which is an A3 page in pdf format,

small thumbnail maps at Canal Junction

and the clickable map at Jim Shead which then gives full detail of locks and distances on individual waterways.

Once I've got a good idea of where I want to go, there's also the Canalplan utility.

But, has anyone got any links to other maps, preferably something of medium size showing major landmarks and junctions with brief information on locks / miles between places, or what does anyone else use?

Thanks Keith, I downloaded that in April '05 and that was the embedded address, they've added a bit in the middle.

No problem, you're welcome, they have recently updated their site.

AINA

different link to one above, this is the 'home page'

Silly question but I'm currently working on my own route planning stuff - are there any one-way waterways !!??!!

Equally silly question....

Why?

Given that Canalplan AC is available free both online and as a download, why would you want to re-invent the wheel?

Equally silly question....

Why?

Given that Canalplan AC is available free both online and as a download, why would you want to re-invent the wheel?

Same reason we're not still using MS-dos and Lotus Symphony (though I have still got my symphony discs).

Or a closer analogy: the old 1980's Autoroute package is better than canalplan so should we have bothered developing TomTom?

are there any one-way waterways !!??!!

Only down! Would be very interested in your results though...

Silly question but I'm currently working on my own route planning stuff

edit to add the sensible bit......... Sorry..

Edited by NB Phoenix

Same reason we're not still using MS-dos and Lotus Symphony (though I have still got my symphony discs).

Or a closer analogy: the old 1980's Autoroute package is better than canalplan so should we have bothered developing TomTom?

Sorry, I don't get it!

That argument presupposes that the existing package is antiquated, which it isn't.

Sorry, I don't get it!

That argument presupposes that the existing package is antiquated, which it isn't.

If the 1980's autoroute package is a better route planner than canal planner, then the package is antiquated.

The maps on canal planner are rubbish, there are less distance markers than the 1963 edition of Imrays and you can't include enough variables to suit an individual boating style.

Any software can be improved on and canal planner is a good basis to produce a professional package. If we don't need to develop software then, like I said previously, we'd still be using Symphony, an excellent word processor, database and spreadsheet package considering the hardware it had to cope with. Anyone know what release AutoCad we're up to yet, or is AutoCad 1 still adequate?

Silly question but I'm currently working on my own route planning stuff - are there any one-way waterways !!??!!

Niagara falls?

Can't we leave one little area free of these damned computers, whats wrong with maps and guides. Very much part of the canal experience using the paper stuff.

Niagara falls?

Can't we leave one little area free of these damned computers, whats wrong with maps and guides. Very much part of the canal experience using the paper stuff.

Surely you mean part of your canal experience John?

I agree with you, personally, although my computer does get used by scanning, then laminating the relevant pages. I prefer to use my ancient guides, though, because it's interesting (though not always pleasing) to see how the canal has changed and the significance (or even existence) of landmarks has altered.

I agree John, I also use paper guides when on the boat - however theres also a vast number of people who each year take a week or two holiday, know nothing about boating, dont read maps (they dont own any waterways ones - why should they!) and of course a substantial number of people from abroad who holiday here.

Most need a helping hand with planning a route and they cannot pop to the local shop to get a book on waterways - they may live 3000 miles away!

The otherside of things is that people on canal boat's are getting more PC/Internet aware - just look at all the members on this site!

Edited by stuart

I think that's a bit harsh, Dave. Canalplan is great but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

By the same token, there are four different guidebook series, and each have their own followers: it's not that any of them are antiquated, just that they appeal to different markets.