Burning logs vertically

mross

Featured Posts

I'm in a rented cottage in the Dales, playing with a Burley Debdale wood burner. The owner supplies very well seasoned logs which burn amazingly well compared to any wood I have burnt in other cottages. Has anyone tried burning logs vertically? They seem to last longer. The stove belts out heat but shutting the air flow to less than 50% and it slowly goes out. I wonder if others could advise.

My narrowboat has a stove at each end and I only use MSF. This dedicated wood burner is a revelation. I might fit one at home.

I'm in a rented cottage in the Dales, playing with a Burley Debdale wood burner. The owner supplies very well seasoned logs which burn amazingly well compared to any wood I have burnt in other cottages. Has anyone tried burning logs vertically? They seem to last longer. The stove belts out heat but shutting the air flow to less than 50% and it slowly goes out. I wonder if others could advise.

My narrowboat has a stove at each end and I only use MSF. This dedicated wood burner is a revelation. I might fit one at home.

If the logs are going in vertically my mind is saying the way the wood grows and is laid down in the log possibly means the easy stuff in between the harder fibres burns quickly as the air flow is up the length of the logs. Now that is good for a good hot burn, but when you want to slow it down it doesn't work. On my Morso putting the logs in front to back or side to side makes similar difference. Side to side they burn slower with the air flow is across the log, grain.

Trying to think of any other reason why can't but there are probably smile.png

Edited by Geo

If the logs are going in vertically my mind is saying the way the wood grows and is laid down in the log possibly means the easy stuff in between the harder fibres burns quickly as the air flow is up the length of the logs. Now that is good for a good hot burn, but when you want to slow it down it doesn't work. On my Morso putting the logs in front to back or side to side makes similar difference. Side to side they burn slower with the air flow is across the log, grain.

Trying to think of any other reason why can't but there are probably smile.png

This I suspect is correct

Yes I also think it has something to do with the grain. A bit like the very different results you get with chainsawing across and with the grain.

Wandering around the topic a touch but there can be large differences between timber quality from different locations based on speed of growth

In effect slower growing more dense, closer spaced rings

I remember seeing a section through a NZ pinus, approx 60yrs old and huge spaces between the growth rings and because of this it was only good for pulp, useless for building

It never ceases to amaze me the things people get up to.

lol People sitting in cottages on boats get bored and need to exercise those grey cells coming up with the most amazing things. Have you ever thought how many things in this world were originally dreamed up when someone was bored. I mean look at the wheel, could that have been some one on a boring wet chilly day sitting looking at a fire and see a circle of log and thinking that will roll so nicely. Then but if I put a branch between two circles of tree and so on. :D