Boat Sitting/Pet Sitting Job

Vanessa Barns

Featured Posts

Hi,

I have been offered a job to boat sit & cat sit as a live-on-board for a week whilst the owner goes away, which is great, however I have no idea what the going rate is to charge. Does anyone have an idea?

The boat, is an old Dutch Barge if it is of any relevance & is 25 metres in length & there is just one cat. On the internet I am seeing prices ranging from 40 pounds per night! What do you think is a realistic price for a week as there are no extra special maintenance or duties required except to keep the cat comfy & the boat safe ¿?

Any help from experience or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Those sorts of prices usually include liability insurance and are for higher maintenance pets like dogs, and a lot of experience or at least an experienced company to back up the employee. There are also pet sitting services like Borrow My Doggy which are free. So I suggest you price your services based on what you are offering in terms of expertise, services (cleaning, boat maintenance, gardening and watering plants, pet grooming or just feeding etc), financial insurances and what your own conscience suggests to you.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Getting paid forty quid a night to stay on a vintage Dutch barge, and with a pussy cat to play with as well? Go for it! If you don't, I could be available.

As you're in France I assume it'll be in euros, no? Have a look in the adverts in 'Fluvial' magazine e and see if there are similar positions on offer, they may include the fees/wages, which will help you get an idea of the market.

The going rate is probably nothing, maybe getting free food and drink. I say this because in the UK (France is probably not much different?) once money officially changes hands either way there are problems. In theory if you are paid the income is taxable and you may have rights and obligations as an employee. Or if you pay to be on a boat the owner becomes a business and needs suitable licence and insurance. Either way the problems don't arise until something such as an accident brings a financial arrangement to the attention of the authorities but then they can become big problems. If no money changes hands, you're just a guest on the boat and everything's fine; the taxman's not interested, any normal boat insurance covers you, etc.

Regulars on the forum may be aware that I make a habit of crewing for other people for fun and don't charge for the above reasons. This hasn't yet included pet sitting, as I have an unspoken arrangement with all cats and dogs that we ignore each other, but I do include help with moving a boat. I much prefer that to just boat sitting going nowhere, and like to think I'm fairly good at boat moving by now, but if someone wants a real expert they'll pay a professional boat mover such as matty40s who will have more experience than me and be all set up to do it for a living.

Hi,

I have been offered a job to boat sit & cat sit as a live-on-board for a week whilst the owner goes away, which is great, however I have no idea what the going rate is to charge. Does anyone have an idea?

The boat, is an old Dutch Barge if it is of any relevance & is 25 metres in length & there is just one cat. On the internet I am seeing prices ranging from 40 pounds per night! What do you think is a realistic price for a week as there are no extra special maintenance or duties required except to keep the cat comfy & the boat safe ¿?

Any help from experience or suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Do you know the owners? If yes then price Will reflect this. Will you have travel costs? Have the owners done this before and are they approachable as to the fee they usually pay. Are you fussed about how much you get it will you be happy with pocket money and a bit of an adventure.

Much to think about and knowing your feelings about it will tell you which approach to make.

If a first just do it for ex's and a change of scenery.

Above all enjoy!!!!!

Edited by valrene9600

If someone was to stay on my boat for a week or two and look after my cat I would calculate it like this:

£5 per day for looking after the cat (based on a maximum of 30 minutes work)

£10 per day for general cleaning etc (based on 1 hour work)

£20 per day rent charged.

Therefore I would expect them to pay me £5 per day for being there. Which is a bargain in my book.

• Greenie 1