Glow plugs - Shanks engine

Featured Posts

I'm replacing the glow plugs in my Shanks 4-40 engine. The old ones came out ok which was a relief. But the new ones are not all screwing fully home.

The two plugs do not look the same, new one has a longer thread and hot tip (see attachment)

I checked with Barrus that the part number of the plugs is correct for this engine (RDG210A18) and they say yes. So either they are giving me the wrong info or the plugs currently fitted are not correct. The engine is quite old now so it's quite possible that the plugs have been replaced in that time with the wrong ones.

I'm wondering if the shorted thread length on the original plugs means that crud has built up at the bottom of the bore so the longer ones won't screw down far enough. The other possibility is that the longer tip is fouling on something inside the chamber (I believe it's an indirect injection engine).

I was losing the light when I tried this the other day so this weekend I'll pop the old plugs back out and have a good look down the hole.

Any suggestions on other things I could check?

Also I'd measure the distance between the seats and the tip of the element, on both new and old plugs. If this measurement is longer on the new plugs than the old beware!!. Being an indirect engine they shouldn't strike a moving part, but might foul up on the wall of the pre chamber and bust off. If this measurement is the same I'd screw em in and take em out again and buzz the engine over on the starter to blow out any rust and soot that might have scraped off the threads.

When changing glow plugs and injectors always compare new and old. And I recommend always turning the engine over slowly a few times by hand after fitting them, to make sure they're not fouling any moving part before actually starting the engine up.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Is there any numbers etc on the one you removed? When our Vetus ones failed I took them to a local truck place and they cross deferenced do them. 7 quid each for ngk ones, 43 quid each from Vetus supplier. Ps the one with green on it looks identical to my ngk ones.

Edited by Guest

Sorry, I didn't attach the image properly the first time!

attachicon.gifimage001.jpg

Seats to the tip is definitely longer on the new plugs.

Not only that but the new one does not seem to have a taper seat to seal it into the head. It looks wrong to me.

Best try to get the old one matched up as per some above.

Is there any numbers etc on the one you removed? When our Vetus ones failed I took them to a local truck place and they cross deferenced do them. 7 quid each for ngk ones, 43 quid each from Vetus supplier. Ps the one with green on it looks identical to my ngk ones.

I didn't spot any numbers when I had them out but I didn't give them a good clean. When I have another look at the weekend I'll see if I can get a match. These where £26 each which is bad enough!

The new plugs are definately not the right ones, they may have been packaged wrongly or a mistake on the part number by the cross reference, taper seat must be replaced with the same type and the measurement from taper to tip be exactly the same.

The photo of the old plug shows that it is making contact on the taper seat, the new plug is designed to sit on a copper washer. It is possible that Shanks at some time changed the design of glow plug from flat seat to taper.

There will be a part number on the original glow plug which can be checked online with other manufacturers sites. I would personally use a top brand name as so many inferior copies are on the market nowadays.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing written on the original plugs is "HS 10.5 V" A search of the interwebs returns nothing that looks right. Next step is to take one to an auto parts place.

The point about the taper seal is a good one. No seal or washer on the new ones. I also recall not all of the old plugs came out with that seal in place so I'll have to check what's down the holes!

• 4 years later...

hi I’m after the same plugs. 

On 03/11/2016 at 10:54, Guest said:

14 minutes ago, Roy foster said:

NGk??  What number please 

Purple platypus last visit to the forum was in 2016 so he probably will not see your post.

If you take yours into a truck dealer they should be able to help.

Maybe these people  :

Truck Parts (hgvdirect.co.uk)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 9 months later...

I am having identical problems getting new glow plugs for my barras shanks 4 035 engine I like you sent off to barras with the serial number of my engine and I like you was sent a set of plugs with the thread most of the way down and the probe longer, did you ever resolve your problem and if so do you have the part number and the location you got the plugs? 

I am having identical problems getting new glow plugs for my barras shanks 4 035 engine I like you sent off to barras with the serial number of my engine and I like you was sent a set of plugs with the thread most of the way down and the probe longer, did you ever resolve your problem and if so do you have the part number and the location you got the plugs? 

Update..... 

Just sent an email to barras who inform me that yes the glow plugs look different but they have been tested and work for this engine model. 

• 1 year later...