GUCC Boat in Minder

ARouseAfloat

Featured Posts

That's great, so glad it's still around rather than just another classic left to rot.

You will find that any steel "Grand Union" motor that managed to survive up to the point that episode was made will still be with us in some form or another. There are a small number lying around in a fairly unloved condition, but even they are generally being kept pumped out and afloat, so I'm sure in time will also change ownership, and someone will love them again.

All these boats now, whatever their condition, have a surprisingly large price tag, so it is highly unlikely they will have an appointment with the scrap man.

The fate of some of the worst of the "Grand Union" butties is very much less certain I would say, and I predict several will probably not survive in their current unpowered state.

Does anyone know if the boat that starred in one of the Minder programs, the one in which Arthur and Ray Daley were delivering videos I think, is still around?

It is hard to believe but only a year or so prior to filming BADSEY was a smart well turned out motor. How do I know ? well I owned it, selling in 1990 along with the butty BARNES.

Following filming BADSEY slipped into being a bit of a rough wreck, eventually being rescued and tidied up again by a boat painter at Ellesmere Port (long with BARNES). BADSEY has since undergone considerable renovations including a new bottom, footings and also re-united with its original engine captain.gif

That to me is a nice thing gone to a good home who has even gone to the effort of finding its original engine (im not saying you didnt look after it pete as i know you did) its just nice to see im not the only one who wants to keep boat and engines together.

That to me is a nice thing gone to a good home who has even gone to the effort of finding its original engine (im not saying you didnt look after it pete as i know you did) its just nice to see im not the only one who wants to keep boat and engines together.

I hope the current owner of BADSEY will not mind me saying but they stumbled across the original engine rather than went looking for it, and when an opportunity like that presents itself I think many owners would endeavour to make the acquisition captain.gif

I would love to find one of these to restore over time. Apparently there are some buried close to West Drayton in a cutting just off the grand union. My grandad remembers them being moored there years ago and then cutting filled in.

Re: West Drayton - perhaps you mean Harefield?