Masonite

PaddingtonBear

Featured Posts

For the sake of clarity I am posting this separately from my previous thread. In thinking about the cabin sides of my new 1:24 project and with considerable input from the Great Helmsman are there any thoughts on the use of Masonite. It is likely that I shall be looking at modelling the late fifties/early 60s or possibly later due to the nature of the available scale figures.

Assuming you want to correctly shape the complex curves of the cabin, how would you achieve this with Masonite, which in thicknesses I have ever seen it is a very rigid material. (But I have no idea how thin you can buy it, I'll admit),

I'm no model maker, but have sheeted a full sized boat in the stuff, and would have thought it highly inappropriate for what you propose.

I still have at home two models of that scale (I think) made by my late brother Pete, ("Warbler" & "Sextans", not that it matters). On those the cabins are based on cardbaord.

Is this model for floating, or just for display? Mine wouldn't float, particularly as only the part normally above water is modelled!

I will be following this and other threads by the OP with interest as I purchased a selection of plans over the past few years with the intention of building some models and maybe this will help give me a kick in the right direction to get things started :)

This is the stuff a lot of model boat builders use...

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/materials/wood/plywood/quality-birch-plywood

Basically thin plywood which comes in a variety of thicknesses. Having googled Masonite I agree with others above about it being too rigid.

When I made my last few models the ends were made out of layers of MDF and then shaped.

17635181234_fa9bc904ab.jpg

2015-05-17 11.22.23 HDR by Ian, on Flickr

I didn't mean use real Masonite, I was suggesting that a Masonite (or ply) cabin might be easier to replicate with modelling materials than an original wooden one. And quite fancied going for a seventies vibe partly because the available three inch tall people seem to have one.

So going back to the other thread, which ones were(n't) around in the seventies :-)