Fitting a replacement Multifuel Stove

Badger

Featured Posts

After 16 years of good service my Heta stove is ready for retirement. I am looking for a replacement and need advice on fitting. Most stoves I am looking at come with a 5" flue. The old stove had a very heavy steel flue pipe measuring 4.25 " dia (108mm). This passed through the cast roof fitting, the hole in the roof cast is 125mm. The gap between the pipe and the roof casting was filled with asbestos type rope and then sealed with fire cement on the top of the casting.

The stoves I have seen talk of a 5" flue, this will be very tight or impossible to pass through the roof fitting. Not sure really what to do, and the suppliers I have spoken to online do not seem very helpful, One more thing, does a stove have to be fixed down for the boat safety certificate ?. as the stoves I have been looking at do not have this facility. Need to get this sorted with winter on the way.

Badger

After 16 years of good service my Heta stove is ready for retirement. I am looking for a replacement and need advice on fitting. Most stoves I am looking at come with a 5" flue. The old stove had a very heavy steel flue pipe measuring 4.25 " dia (108mm). This passed through the cast roof fitting, the hole in the roof cast is 125mm. The gap between the pipe and the roof casting was filled with asbestos type rope and then sealed with fire cement on the top of the casting.

The stoves I have seen talk of a 5" flue, this will be very tight or impossible to pass through the roof fitting. Not sure really what to do, and the suppliers I have spoken to online do not seem very helpful, One more thing, does a stove have to be fixed down for the boat safety certificate ?. as the stoves I have been looking at do not have this facility. Need to get this sorted with winter on the way.

Badger

The stove has to be secured

Which stoves in particular are you looking at??

If you have to have a 5" flue, then just remove the old roof collar and buy one that takes a 5" flue. Cutting the hole means just extending the existing hole, is fairly simple with a decent jigsaw.

The mandatory BSS guidelines for installation are that the appliance is installed correctly and is secured (NOT by pipework ie flue). All it needs as a minimum is a single bracket secured to the floor and through a leg.

Thanks for the replies, is there such a thing as a reducer to change from 5" to say 4.5". Would seem easier than changing the roof collar.

You need to follow the guidelines/instructions for the specific stove you fit. If its okay to use a reducer, they can be obtained/fashioned etc but if its a large stove that wants a 5" flue, 5" is the size it wants to be.