TV recordings

Dibbo

Featured Posts

Hi All, We dont watch much telly but we're getting a new TV and thinking of getting rid of the Humax TV recorder box that keeps wiping itself clean, Midland C's advertise LED tv's by Cello and also Amazon do the same, with the ability to record onto a separate hard drive..... does anyone have one, or knowledge of how they work. Can you record in advance, set it to do whole series etc etc etc.

Dibbo

I have had the Cello tv for over a year now, think its the 24" version. After the initial problem it has worked out ok. I put an 8gb stick in the back, not sure what the maximum size is, but it hasn't missed any recording yet. The programme guide is not as good as a standalone unit. I have seen a function which allows the tv to be set up to record daily, weekly and monthly schedules, but have not used it.

The playback functions are also very basic. To fast forward, yo can choose x2, x4 x8 etc, but you cannot forward to a specific time, or step through in chunks.

It also will only record one channel at a time , as it only has one tuner, and is not HD. As a basic unit, it is fine, but doesn't have the bells and whistles the Humax does (funnily enough, I am looking for a Humax to add to my Cello)

• Greenie 1

If you want to record HDTV onto a memory stick to keep then I recommend an August DVB400

https://www.amazon.co.uk/August-DVB400-Freeview-Receiver-Recording/dp/B00BPAZGCG

The user interface is a bit crap but it's the only device I know of that can record HDTV to memory stick that can be stored on hard drive.

Our Humax has been OK for the first few years,but just recently it's taken to deleting entire lists of programmes we set it to record. Also draws the same power as the TV , so isnt brilliant when we're away from shore supply as its like having two telly's on. Apparently it's a common fault with the Humax but as I said its been fine for the first few years.

Do you ever switch the Humax off (as in physically off) It may rebuild the recording list when you switch it on so not list all the recordings if you go straight to the recording section.

In my opinion recording using the TV is a poor experience and seems to be an afterthought of the TV designers.

Our Humax has been OK for the first few years,but just recently it's taken to deleting entire lists of programmes we set it to record. Also draws the same power as the TV , so isnt brilliant when we're away from shore supply as its like having two telly's on. Apparently it's a common fault with the Humax but as I said its been fine for the first few years.

I have had a number of these freeview recording boxes, and although when they work, they are great, most rarely last more than 2 years. The last was by TVonics, lasted 2 years. I am not sure what the best make for longevity and low power consumption would be.

Agree with Robbo, recording through the TV is not the best option , but its lower power consumption and if you don't watch TV often could well work for you.

Edited by rusty69

Humax are a good make and it should last for a long time, usually the hard drive is the issue as it's a moving part and is greatly effected by heat (so don't having anything on top of the PVR!). The hard drives can be easily replaced as they are usually bog standard ones.

I always understood Humax to be one of the better makes. Ours never got that hot.

I wonder if dust also affects these things. I opened up our solar controller the other day and there was loads of dust, which I guess can cause overheating and premature failing. I can only assume it comes from the solid fuel stove

Edited by rusty69

Humax are a good make and it should last for a long time, usually the hard drive is the issue as it's a moving part and is greatly effected by heat (so don't having anything on top of the PVR!). The hard drives can be easily replaced as they are usually bog standard ones.

Or put a bigger one in

Ours doesn't get hot, and is rarely turned off, generally only if it locks up or we switch power supply's (shore to inverter etc) or if away when the inverter is off. Didn't realise you could replace the hard drive, tho the Wife insists on not letting programmes build up, and if not watched within a week or so she deletes them. Perhaps the way to go is to keep the Humax ( it was a expensive when we bought it) and get the new TV and just see how we get on?