What size anchor?

W+T

Featured Posts

I know a bit far of myself but i am sat chilling and reading/researching like i do. I have just thought about an anchor for the boat. Not a NB but a GRP 20 foot cruiser which will be used on rivers/lakes and maybe the sea. Besides thinking where to store it ( i like the idea of making a locker in the front deck ) and what type, think i will get a few for the place we visit.

Mainly the size/weight, does it differ from type of bed we anchor in on the weight of anchor we need ?.

I know a bit far of myself but i am sat chilling and reading/researching like i do. I have just thought about an anchor for the boat. Not a NB but a GRP 20 foot cruiser which will be used on rivers/lakes and maybe the sea. Besides thinking where to store it ( i like the idea of making a locker in the front deck ) and what type, think i will get a few for the place we visit.

Mainly the size/weight, does it differ from type of bed we anchor in on the weight of anchor we need ?.

There are many previous threads on this subject which you may find interesting, although sometimes confusing. Try the search function at the top of the page.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

Our 23ft cruiser has an oversized Delta anchor at 10kg. It was fitted as standard by Sealine and is if anything a bit big for the boat, a 6kg would have been more then adequate. That said we have never had a problem with it dragging.

Ours sits on a bow roller at the bow of the boat so that it is always ready to deploy. Sealine in their infinite wisdom them covered the bow roller to try and make it look nicer. Whilst it might look nicer tucked away under the bow it is a pain the *rse to get back up as it has a habit of coming up backwards and spearing the gel coat in the bow recess.

20160826_195014.jpg

ETA: We have the anchor on 100ft of 6mm chain attached to the boat with a piece of webbing strap which can be easily cut should the need arise.

Edited by Naughty Cal
  • Greenie 1

Different 'kettle of fish' but on our 38 foot yacht we have a 25kg 'Brittany Anchor' with 150 feet of 10mm chain.

The 'Brittany' is one of the 'better' designs. but not as good as the latest designs.

Last month we were anchored up in the sheltered mooring at Spurn Point (River Humber / North Sea confluence), it was a bit breezy, and a bit of tide running (but they were not Spring tides).

We had 4x depth of chain out in 6 metres of water and appeared to be safely 'hooked' in.

Went to bed - fast asleep when the anchor drag alarm went off (it was set at 75 feet), up like a shot to avoid dragging and potentially grounding the boat.

Engines running, anchor back in, moved back to a safe location, dropped anchor again with 6x depth.

Stayed on watch,

A little later anchor alarm goes off again,

Repeat - re anchoring procedure.

We now have 10x depth out an seemed to have it sorted, but no - we dragged again.

Eventually the tide was 'out' and we were in 2 metes of water depth with 40 metres of chain out (20x depth). This time it held - just as it was getting light.

We will be upgrading the anchor to either a Mantus, or a Manson Supreme, but with a 27kg at around the £600 mark (for galvanised) we need to make sure we get the 'right one'

If you are planning on any 'sea' time then your anchor cannot be too big and you cannot have too much chain

• Greenie 1

These may help in your decision (it is always recommended to go 'one size' up if you can)

post-11859-0-70109700-1473753901_thumb.png

post-11859-0-99964400-1473753951_thumb.jpg

Yachting Monthly -Anchor Test Nov09.pdf

You can see how very poorly the Danforth is rated.

The Danforth is the one commonly used on Nb's

Interesting to look at the YM tests :

A 16kg CQR has a holding force of only 206kgs

A 10kg Fortress has a holding force of 3281 Kg (THREE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED & EIGHTY)

Just shows how important it is to chooses the correct anchor.

Traditional is not always the best. Everything evolves.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

There is a lot to anchoring isnt there, I did think of hanging the anchor but form the Bow rail, but could swing around a lot, but still not have the problem you have at times Rach. It si the storing of the rope and chain, i like to have a tidy Bow.

One good all rounder would be good, but the as said as we plan where we are going we can take the needed anchor for the bed. I guessed on a 10kg anchor at first, more is better but a bit OTT i think. So by look s a 8 kilo will be plenty.

I like the look of the folding type, easy to store but not mnay in the weight i would need, max i have found is 5kg. Saying that i could make one...another to the list of the boat project :)

Thanks for the links ;)

Rach that is a fine boat you have, one day, just one day :)

I like the look of the folding type, easy to store but not mnay in the weight i would need, max i have found is 5kg.

By 'folding type' do you mean the 'grapnel' type that collapse on themselves, as the 'blades' fold inwards ?

I have a 15kg one that is a door stop in my shed. I wouldn't even give it away as it is dangerous, in that the owner would think they have an 'anchor' when they don't.

Grapnels are such poor anchors that they do not even include them in any anchor tests.

They catch a lot of 'newbies' in the world of anchoring.

I would suggest :

1) 8-10kg CQR

2) 8-10 kg Bruce

Along with at least 30 metres of 6mm chain - ensure that you 'mouse' the shackle connecting the chain to the anchor, and ensure that the 'bitter end' is attached to the hull with a piece of easily cut rope - NOT a shackle.

When we had a small boat the anchor chain was stored in a plastic bucket / tote-box with the anchor placed on top - if the chain was correctly 'fed' into the bucket it was a simple procedure to pay out the chain.

The bucket can be stored anywhere convenient and brought out and placed on the bow when needed - unlike a River, if anything happens on the sea or a lake that requires the deployment of the anchor, then you have plenty of time to do it (usually !!)

You cannot really 'over-anchor' but it depends if you want it for 'parking whilst having lunch', or a 'firm secure mooring for an overnight stop', or, something you know will hold you when the engine stops and you are heading towards the rocks / cliffs.