Size of boat equals = thickness of Hull

Toby knight

Featured Posts

Then on top of that the weight of the fixtures and fittings

Well, yes - every boat has those, so the difference from the baseplate is the important part. On the other hand, there will be less ballast

To be honest, I'm not sure why any of this matters. I'm not a boat builder or a marine engineer, so my opinion is as useful as most on a canal forum - i.e. bugger all.

If the OP doesn't want what the boat builder is supplying, find another one. If no boat builder will build a 30' boat with a baseplate thicker than 8mm, perhaps there is a good reason why

Richard

I suspect the builder(s) the OP has approached have standardised designs they can adapt a little bit; or a strong preference to stay within a standardised size range. So whilst in thoery pretty much any baseplate thickness is possible, in practice finding a builder who wants to take on a one-off hull design is what needs to be done. A builder who makes a one off probably needs full payment up front, while a standardised design could be done in stage payments - if the buyer disappears, then there's still a sellable part-complete boat, etc.

Well, yes - every boat has those, so the difference from the baseplate is the important part. On the other hand, there will be less ballast

To be honest, I'm not sure why any of this matters. I'm not a boat builder or a marine engineer, so my opinion is as useful as most on a canal forum - i.e. bugger all.

If the OP doesn't want what the boat builder is supplying, find another one. If no boat builder will build a 30' boat with a baseplate thicker than 8mm, perhaps there is a good reason why

Richard

I agree although it was fun to do the maths even thought at one point I mixed feet & metric

ETA mind you I suspect that 8 mm would be stronger than needed

Edited by Geo

Just to say that old specifications for ships frequently gave the the thickness of plate in lbs (pounds weight). Chesterman made hook gauges for measuring the plates of boilers marked similarly. Boiler and ship plate weighs approx 40lb per square foot so 1/2" (12.7mm) was 20lb plate and 1/4" was 10lb. Expressed like this, it made calculating all up weight easy.

That extra 10 foot would give your boat assuming a 24 inch draft the capacity to carry an extra 3.66 tonnes. If the draft was 28 inches that would carry an extra 4.27 tonnes.

draft was nearer 28" - however, I believe the new owners have stretched 'Denmark' by what looks to be about 10' - so it would be interesting to see how she 'floats' now!

I suspect the builder(s) the OP has approached have standardised designs they can adapt a little bit; or a strong preference to stay within a standardised size range. So whilst in thoery pretty much any baseplate thickness is possible, in practice finding a builder who wants to take on a one-off hull design is what needs to be done. A builder who makes a one off probably needs full payment up front, while a standardised design could be done in stage payments - if the buyer disappears, then there's still a sellable part-complete boat, etc.

A valid point. May I suggest (from personal experience) contacting Mel Davis. He'll build what you want, build it well, and takes his payments in stages.

A valid point. May I suggest (from personal experience) contacting Mel Davis. He'll build what you want, build it well, and takes his payments in stages.

Think Mel is very busy and a year or so ago he told me he was going to semi retire and spend more time on his boat on the east coast

draft was nearer 28" - however, I believe the new owners have stretched 'Denmark' by what looks to be about 10' - so it would be interesting to see how she 'floats' now!

Suspect she has been ballasted so the utxer plate is about 2" under water

Think Mel is very busy and a year or so ago he told me he was going to semi retire and spend more time on his boat on the east coast

Well, he had a boat at the Crick Show this year, for the first time in years, so he must still be interested in finding new customers. I think he's soon starting s motor and butty ( called Huffin and Puffin!) for a forum member.

A very busy builder is often a good one to choose. Would you trust one who told you that he could start tomorrow?

Well, he had a boat at the Crick Show this year, for the first time in years, so he must still be interested in finding new customers. I think he's soon starting s motor and butty ( called Huffin and Puffin!) for a forum member.

A very busy builder is often a good one to choose. Would you trust one who told you that he could start tomorrow?

Huffn & Puffin were booked when I was speaking to him. The aim i believe was to take life easier, but who knows times go by and things change. He was talking about having carvans at the farm not sure if that happened not been up that way for a while.

What was the name of the boat at the Crick Show? that was Betty

Edited by Geo