Lutine again... Banbury and won't start

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Does the engine have the large diameter camshaft pulley or the small diameter standard industrial pulley of which is of around 5'' diameter Patrick?

Well, it's significant less than my handspan so 5-6 inches seems about right

I will give further reports probably over the weekend, I went to a meeting yesterday morning and the client wanted me to do some work for a day or two so not moving...

Thank you Peter. Folk often seem to bypass or overlook my recommendations posts, perhaps they think, Oh! its im agen, probably a load of nonsense.

Blizzard,all your posts are gems! I have been a seafaring engineer for forty-plus years and find them all instructive, imaginative and sometimes wonderfully weird.

All safe and sound when I strolled past a few mins ago! Laughed, no a chuckle, when I saw the old battery on the back. Glad your one step on.

Thank you! Good to know an eye is being kept smile.png

The battery might make a handy step onto the roof (and off it - jumping down isn't doing my knees any good!)

This may merit a new topic - in which case I'll ask for it to be moved.

Lutine Bell has a strange mix of wiring.

The "heavy duty" stuff is beautifully done; Well crimped cables, just the right length and with coloured sleeves to identify wiring. Three leisure batteries and one starter, good quality isolators (none of this red plastic key nonsense) a SmartBank and a single high current fuse near the battery end of the feed to the inverter.

The low current stuff (smart gauge, engine wiring, bilge pump and headlight) are: -

• all in one colour - white
  • badly crimped (or worse)
  • Have taken instructions literally - "connect Smartguage + to Battery +" equates to a single white wire in a straight line between the battery and the Smartguage. It looks like a spiders web!
  • Not a fuse in sight

I'm planning on tidying it up for Magpie but it will have to be done a bit at a time. Perhaps Smartbank on the first visit. Then Start / Stop / Field from the Ignition switch to the engine. Then Bilgepump / Horn / Headlight. Then ...

For good measure, the cable between the Smartguage and Smartbank has been cut at some point and joined with tape; I guess because the connector wouldn't fit through the hole in the bulkhead.

I'm not too bad on electrics but my experience of boats is over fifty years of holidays; not owning one. Any advice is welcome!

When soldering terminals to wires and cables or any soldering on wire ends, in my opinion its essential that after the bit of insulation has been stripped back the conductors ends need cleaning, new wire included. The wire may look nice and clean, but they're not. I scrape them all around to bright shiny raw copper with a penknife blade. A stark difference. Not doing this is possibly the reason why so many folk have little success with soldering, dry joints ect.

An ancient radio and TV engineer taught me this 50 years ago.

And I was told don't eat oranges, can't remember what it was that gets on your hands and then the wires