Boat Security and Immobilisers (Split from Stolen Boat)

Flyboy

Featured Posts

On my Lapa the beeper is so quiet, you wouldn't be able to hear it over background noise unless you were within a foot or so. Phone will tell you if you are close, but not in which direction. It would be better to get a gadget with a SIM that transmits its position at fixed intervals. The Chine tracker could do that but would need a power source as its internal battery is very small. I have a powerpack that is 18,000mAh, but, unfortunately, it switches off when the current draw drops too low.

I've seen GPS devices the size of a packet of chewing gum, but the battery life is poor as it doesn't last a day and GPS isn't accurate enough to and doesn't work indoors. Both of these devices have their uses, trackr for small everyday items, GPS trackers for big items.

I dug out a review once on these small trackers, I think the trackr was well rated and was noticeably loud enough. - I think the advantage with the trackr device over the others is that it's more popular so making the Crowd GPS more likely to work.

Edited by Robbo

Depends on the size of the glass, portholes can be a tad small! Laminated glass is also good security as they a lot harder to get through.

Our laminated glass window didn't stop the burglar, it did make cleaning up a devil of a job.

Our neighbours boat was accessed through a small porthole.

The previous comment was accurate, any security is as strong as a pane of glass.

Ensure good insurance cover, and don't worry about it. Boat burglaries/thefts are thankfully still rare events.

Rog

Our laminated glass window didn't stop the burglar, it did make cleaning up a devil of a job.

Rog

Laminated should be easier to clean up if broken as it doesn't break up like other glass. It stopped mine getting burgled as although the glass cracked it was still held in place. Edited by Robbo

Do you mean 'toughened' glass??

That normally breaks into tiny and very numerous (but generally safe to handle) pieces.

Laminated glass is layered with other transparent materials such as an acrylic and is normally very hard to break into pieces.

Edited by MJG