Boat Security and Immobilisers (Split from Stolen Boat)

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Yes, but it requires the voltage to actually stop the engine. Once started only fuel cutoff will stop it. Someone I helped on the cut once had this problem, the engine wouldn't stop and it turned out to be a failed alternator and flat battery. Engine wouldn't stop.

I think you will find that is not always the case, Barrus Shire ( Yanmar) engines stop when the power is removed from fuel solenoid, ie when the key is turned off. In this case a hidden switch would be a hinderance to a thief.

Edited by Flyboy

I've just thought of a "Bizzard" type device.

Next time your boat is out of the water drill a wine bottle cork size hole in the base plate.

Fit a cork with some string through it. Tie the other end of the string to the crank shaft pulley wheel.

When crim starts the engine the plug is pulled out and said crim won't get very far.

Now what could possibly go wrong?

:ninja:

That's a terrific idea, Ray. And brilliant in its simplicity. I can't think of anything that could wrong. As luck would have it, the boat is coming out of the water next spring for blacking. Your suggestion is now at the top of my 'to do' list.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana
  • Greenie 1

I've just thought of a "Bizzard" type device.

Next time your boat is out of the water drill a wine bottle cork size hole in the base plate.

Empty the wine bottle contents into oneself and dispose of bottle at a re cycling centre

Fit the cork in the hole with some string through it. Tie the other end of the string to the crank shaft pulley wheel.

When the crim starts the engine the plug is pulled out and said crim won't get very far.

Now what could possibly go wrong?

ninja.gif

Or... Drive a long 3/4 inch dia steel bar down through the hole into the bed o't'cut, bit of chewing gum to seal it, instant immobiliser!

That's a terrific idea, Ray. And brilliant in its simplicity. I can't think of anything that could wrong. As luck would have it, the boat is coming out of the water next spring for blacking. Your suggestion is now at the top of my 'to do' list.

Ken

Why wait till then?

After reading most of this thread i am pleased the boat has been found and recovered

On the security side i would think a tracker fitted / good big locks and bars across cabin doors and lock engine covers so thieves cant get to the engine / batters etc

Lock the steering and a steel plate locked over the ignition key panel and lock the gear lever just for starters excuse my pun

also use different keys for each lock not locks to pass in other words more locks the better

graham

The best deterrent is in my opinion to live on the boat ..... but then you need to retire or stop work so you are not leaving it for long periods. This has the benefit of being able to move it about a lot so means it us harder for the thieves to plan the theft.... simple, I'm going to ask my boss if he will support this idea to stop my boat being pinched (he will need to keep paying me of course)

If this does not get the green light I can confirm the 15 quid tracker and the 10 quid Giffgaff sim are delivered and working talking to my phone.... this looks quite positive, I will be fitting it somewhere on the boat that is not easy to find and will enable both transmission and gps signal.... I'll report back on that tomorrow hopefully (but it may mean I have to still go to work which is a bad thing !)

After my wooden topped boat had been broken into three times in a couple of years, each time the damage done far exceeded the value of stuff stolen I decided something had to be done.

At first I seriously considered leaving it unlocked but was worried about squatters or arsonists, anyway it would invalidate my insurance.

Eventually I attached this sign to the front door.

post-3714-0-37704300-1470775021_thumb.png

I'm sure it was nothing but a coincidence, but I wasn't bothered by scrotes again with that boat.

Settle down everyone, settle down. There have been a couple of narrowboats stolen this year. Possibly even MORE!

That's all that was stolen. Compare with cars and caravans!

Yes, but...........compare the value of a narrowboat with those of a car or a caravan.

And it's two narrowboats out of how many on the system?

I will add more pages to this from the Chris and Graham's Stolen Boat Topic as time allows. They may not appear in the correct order. On the other hand they quite possibly could. Who knows?

Theo

Yes, but...........compare the value of a narrowboat with those of a car or a caravan.

And it's two narrowboats out of how many on the system?

Our caravan is easily worth the same or indeed more than some Narrowboats.

If both our car and caravan were stolen at the same time (which happens) there would be no question.

Therefore I don't understand your point.

Our caravan is easily worth the same or indeed more than some Narrowboats.

If both our car and caravan were stolen at the same time (which happens) there would be no question.

Therefore I don't understand your point.

The average price of a narrowboat is considerably more than the average price of either a car or a caravan.

The average price of a narrowboat is considerably more than the average price of either a car or a caravan.

So what?

I still don't understand your point.

But as you have raised the issue just what is the average price of a car, a caravan and a Narrowboat please?

Try a VW T5 camper if you want to own something that will be pinched and stripped in days...

It's easy to pinch a boat but it's hard to get away with it, hence the hopeless security most boats including mine have. Add to that the contents on mine aren't worth pinching and I wonder why worry?

I may be the odd one out, I've never been burgled, nor had a car broken into or stolen, lost any luggage, had my pocket picked, had even a minor car accident, broken a bone, been conned, been mugged, had to fight, fallen out with neighbours...

I always left the house windows open and the back door unlocked even when away on holiday.

You could break into my boat in 2 seconds but in 28 years of it being out and about it hasn't happened.

I shall carry on as always, the world is mostly populated by good people.

Edited by boathunter
  • Greenie 1

So what?

I still don't understand your point.

But as you have raised the issue just what is the average price of a car, a caravan and a Narrowboat please?

fatigue.gif

Perhaps you can work all this out.

• Greenie 1

:tired:

Perhaps you can work all this out.

I still don't understand your point, and you have further added to my lack of understanding with that.

You made a bold statement about the value of cars and caravans versus the value of a Narrowboat but yet you seem unable to clarify what exactly you mean.

I simply asked you to do that but fair enough if you cannot.

Sounds like a cracking topic for the CaravanWorld Discussion Forum to me. ;)

I doubt there would be interest in discussing something that simply cannot be quantified.....

How do you tow a caravan with a narrowboat, if you're stealing both of them...? Or do you just call the caravan a Butty and it works okay?

Joking apart, as I was using my cordless angle grinder to cut the old chains while changing the fenders on my boat the other day, it made me think

that padlocks aren't particularly secure, however good a make they are. Only the noise of the grinder is a problem.

Consequently, I'm looking into adding protection around the padlocks to make it harder to cut them off.