Trent and Mersey at Shardlow

Silebyman

Featured Posts

Just had a message from CRT - apparently some scrotes were messing around with Dallow lock last night which has slowed down the re-opening of the canal. Fingers crossed it will still be open today though..

They were saying the call had blown and the lock was to be drained and re-concreted, they had already poured cement in above the top lock gate to seal them up !

Cill not call

The levels in the pound above are rising but only because the top gates have been sealed

I've tried numerous CRT Twitter sites. Silence. I'm moored by Kegworth deep. Will head that way tomorrow. Last I heard we might be open today. But stoppage notice not changed. Bet there's a queue either way.

I spoke to the 'right' CRT guy for this stretch this afternoon. The repair at Shardlow is done and they are now waiting for the levels to rise. There have been 8 CRT guys on the stretch today (they do indeed work weekends!) - water being sent down from the sluices at Wychnor, through Stenson and on down. (Boaters have been letting water through intervening locks (which, he says, is only robbing Peter to pay Paul and not helping at all) so they'd be glad if everyone would just wait.)

They're HOPING the level will have risen enough by tomorrow (Sunday) lunchtime but they won't know till nearer the time. As soon as it's safe to do so they'll open the navigation.

The central message from CRT is there is no repair work to be done, it's just a matter of the water level. All being well, things will be moving again tomorrow afternoon.

Jo

Edited by Jo_

CRT web site says nothing about blown cill, Sawley marina this morning told the same but local CRT office, and that is that it's closed until at least Wednesday, as I said the problem is not water levels, it's the lock cill that needs reconstruction and that why all the water ran underneath it.