Can this happen easily?

nine9feet

Featured Posts

70,000 cubic feet = 436,030 gallons

How many baths is that?

I dont understand where all the water comes from even on a river because a lot of it seems to go down the enourmous weir at knostrop lock

Regards Adam

I'm certainly not going to do anything without a rope"

I have a narrow boat and in narrow locks i never bother with ropes - just leave it on tick over pushing against the gate, that way it cant move. I cant do that solo in a broad lock because of the lateral movement, I need a centre line to keep it against the wall - but I would have thought if I had a broad boat (or a butty!) I would not bother with a rope?

You can work a narrow lock without a rope because your boat is 6'10" beam and the lock is 7', thus no lateral movement. Although it's a widebeam, unfortunately my boat isn't 13'10" wide. I know that opening the ground paddle on the same side as the boat will generally hold it there but I'm not going to rely on that.

Also when you leave your boat in gear against the gate, presumably your bow fender is against some sort of plate to prevent it catching on a beam. Where these exist in double locks they're not in the right place for my boat. (I once caught a narrowboat bow fender in a lock gate and it was not a pleasant experience!)

Edited by blackrose

Then there was this one, about 3 or 4 yars ago in Bath:

sunkWeston.jpg

sunkWestonS.jpg

This is a very interesting picture I was housekeeper at Barton Turns Marina then for Them there Blue Boats I had forgotten about Puck at Weston Lock It was a Very New Boat then as in probably 1 month old it had to have a refit

I dont understand where all the water comes from even on a river because a lot of it seems to go down the enourmous weir at knostrop lock

Er, the water comes from the hills of Yorkshire. This part of the Aire and Calder Navigation is fed by the River Aire at Leeds, bringing water down from as far away as Malham

The water goes down the enormous weir at Knostrop in order to bypass the lock. It carries on down the river below the lock towards Fishpond, Woodlesford and Lemonroyd Locks.

This reminded me to look up that well publicised accident about 7 years ago where 4 disabled adults were drowned in a hire boat while in Skeg Neck Lock near Gargrave on the Leeds and Liverpool. This was where the bow fender got trapped in the gap between the beam and gate and hooked up, the water fell 2m, the crew went to the other end to let water in but it was handcuffed locked and lost time to open it, letting water in made it worse and eventually the boat dropped into the lock creating a huge wave which washed the crew off the boat and swamping the boat which quickly sank, they could not get out and were drowned

I think I saw Drum Major the boat in question a few weeks back, I seem to remember an unusual cast brass sign of a drum on the cabin side, if it was the same boat I doubt I would like to go on it knowing 4 had drowned n it.

Anyone know if they boarded over the gates on this lock to stop it happening again?

here is the full report

http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Drum%20Major.pdf

Charles

I seem to remember the deepest narrow lock is Tardebigge top lock on the Worcester & Birmingham at 14ft.

John Gagg did a survey of deep locks some years ago and wrote an article for one of the magazines titled 'Potato on a String' or something like...

I can't remember which came out tops....

i have just quickly read some of the report about the terrible accident involving "drum major" (i will print it later to read fully), what sounds like and literally was a awful awful accident, some very easy steps could have been taken to prevent it from happening the main one is quite obviously more care and attention being paid to what is going on,

when i am in a lock i do not take my eyes off where the boats is in comparison to the top gates and the bottom gates. i would certainly not go down in to the cabin to make tea as some boaters do!!!

also why werent "weak" links used in the chain securing the button bow fender to the boat? this would have almost definatley prevented the boat from hanging from the bow end. (is this now common practise to fit weak chain links on new boats?)

all that said, it is a very very sad accident and one that will continue to happen if people are not educated correctly when they "go boating"

Nik