Pocklington Canal

Derek Porteous

Featured Posts

I know there has been a stoppage at East Cottingwith Lock due to the failure of the low gate off-side heel post. However this was 6 weeks ago.

Waterscape still says the canal is closed. Anyone know of a "target" date when this might be repaired? I had planned to take a trip up the Derwent in a couple of weeks, but may be looking for a Plan B. The other thing is I seem to remember reading recently that a further section of the Pockington Canal is about to be opened, but does anyone know when? Finally, how far can you take a 55 ft narrowboat up the River Derwent. The guides are suitable vague about navigation rights.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
I know there has been a stoppage at East Cottingwith Lock due to the failure of the low gate off-side heel post. However this was 6 weeks ago.

Waterscape still says the canal is closed. Anyone know of a "target" date when this might be repaired?

Latest is - it's still closed. The canal society were hoping it would reopen around September, but it's not looking hopeful. Unofficial rumour has it that next April is more likely.

• 2 months later...
Latest is - it's still closed. The canal society were hoping it would reopen around September, but it's not looking hopeful. Unofficial rumour has it that next April is more likely.

OK - I'm replying to myself now ...

It will (probably) be repaired 'early summer' 2008. Hope it doesn't go on too long - some of the locked-in boats will be needing blacking soon.

• 4 months later...

I was chatting with someone about this the other day, and apparently, the estimated cost is in excess of £150,000 plus the cost of the road they need to build to bring in the equipment.

Now I know I am a bit simple, but it is only a gate. Granted it is a big gate, but how the heck does it cost so much?

• 1 month later...
OK - I'm replying to myself now ...

It will (probably) be repaired 'early summer' 2008. Hope it doesn't go on too long - some of the locked-in boats will be needing blacking soon.

It now seems that it will -not- be repaired summer 2008.

Also, BW are still charging full rates for the mooring & license -- both for boats that have a mooring there, but are not able to access it, and for those unable to leave.

Does anybody know what the legal situation is ?

• 9 months later...

Some good news (at last!) Following a lengthy trip through BW complaints procedures, a date has now been set for work to re-open the Pocklington canal. :lol:

Work will start in April (subject to water levels on the Derwent), and is expected to take no more than 6 weeks. I don't know whether this has been the longest 'temporary' stoppage, but it may well be over soon.

If anybody is directly affected (i.e. been trapped there, unable to access a mooring, or similar) send me a p.m.

B.B.

Check out the website of the Tuesday Night Club..... :lol:

<NA lets off steam>

AFAIK Elvington (Sutton) lock is bu&&ered. The bottom gates now "belong" to the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust and have finally given up the ghost, (they were replaced by volunteers in the 1970's)

They were pretty knackered when we went through in 2002. Whether you would get the correct information concerning the state of the gates from Yorkshire Wildlife Trust

http://www.ywt.org.uk/

remains top be seen. You are/were meant to ask them for permission to use the bottom gates. We did in 2002 and had no trouble with them.

The YWT also discouraged tree cutting on the section of the river just below Elvington Lock, which must be by now, pretty impassable.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_02/Tour02_10.html

The Derwent strory...and now the Pocklington is one of the sadest moments in waterway restoration.

How the EA could wimp out of helping with restoration / the fight is unbelievable...they even put in a Sanitary Station at Stamford Bridge, own the top guillotine at Elvington, but NOT the bottom gates...how can two organisations own one lock chamber???

It was said that there should be a new attempt at gaining a right of navigation, involving the EU.

What ever you do...have a go up the Derwent, take a chainsaw / bowsaws, but be prepared for a long trip backwards if you do not reach Elvington, where you can wind in the entrance to the lock cut.

We went up the Derwent as far as Stamford Bridge and to Melbourne on the Pocklington in 1996. Didn't know that we were supposed to get permission from the YWT and the bods at the entrance lock didn't say anything. Nice moorings and pub in Melbourne but at Stamford B ridge we had to moor in the old lock almost directly under the bridge. Quite noisy.

Most memorable bit was mooring for the night against a farmers field where a knigfisher had made his nest. Fantastic photos as he fed his young.

• 3 months later...
Some good news (at last!) Following a lengthy trip through BW complaints procedures, a date has now been set for work to re-open the Pocklington canal. :lol:

Work will start in April (subject to water levels on the Derwent), and is expected to take no more than 6 weeks. I don't know whether this has been the longest 'temporary' stoppage, but it may well be over soon.

If anybody is directly affected (i.e. been trapped there, unable to access a mooring, or similar) send me a p.m.

B.B.

Quick Update:

We now have it in writing that work will begin at the start of April 2009.

Needless to say, nothing has happened so far. :lol:

• 1 month later...