One day from Huddlesford - how far should I try and go?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Simple Question - Lutine is at Huddlesford (or I hope she is, that's where I left her!) - I had intended to get to Atherstone top lock this weekend, moving ton Fazeley today and Atherstone tomorrow before going back home to keep working. However a bulge in my workload means I won't get to the boat until too late to cruise tonight and I need to get a shift on back home on Monday. I like to have Lutine where she is going to be left the night before I leave and also I need to be back in Frome Monday afternoon so not that much time for train back to get my car etc

In a few days time I can take almost a whole week off to get southwards

Tomorrow should I

1) Just go as far as Fazeley (short day) and leave her there for a few days

2) Go for the long day option and aim for Atherstone top lock (ten hours?)

3) Summat else?

Atherstone and Fazeley are suggested due to proximity or railway stations and being reasonably safe places to leave her for a few days

Thoughts? Not binding I'm just trying to make my mind up!

Edited by magpie patrick

Personally I would rather leave my boat at the bottom of the Atherstone flight rather than the top. There is also some offside long term or private moorings there so plenty of activity to keep the scroates away.

half way up the Atherstone flight? There are a lot of boats moored in the basin opposite and it looks quite a safe place. Top of Atherstone doesn't get a very good name for boat safety, I gather. A bit further on, what about near the Anchor pub? Again looks safe and there is a road but don't know where there is a station.

haggis

Thanks - half way up the locks sounds like a possible.

Yes, need to be nearish a railway station to retrieve the car/boat (or to leave the car in Frome) - I have a folding bike but that only gives one so much scope (and double gym followed by sixty lengths of the pool would be easier!)

Just arrived at Huddlesford and all is well - must admit, the shortness of time this time, the long trip in a week or so and the fact I'd get to Banbury (which is as far as I want to go on that trip) from here mean I'm tempted to stay put or just move a few miles this time!