Moorings York to Ripon

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello. Been in York and leaving probably tomorrow,Sunday.

Looking at the guide and google maps,it seems moorings are very scarce between York and Ripon.

Any local knowledge please. We're in no rush,just want to moor up and enjoy the scenery and weather.

Martyn

There is a good pub at Linton where you can moor onto a floating pontoon , also the pontoon for the lock is really long so I guess it would be ok to spend some time there. Boroughbridge is nice with moorings and diesel cheaper than Naburn. I have also moored around Newby hall. From what I remember there are moorings onto the gardens but signs prohibiting their use. also a rusty metal structure just under the surface on the opposite side to the hall so be careful if you or your dog plan to go for a swim around there. It was 2014 since I went that way so things may have changed.

Agee with the above (mostly). There is a pub floating pontoon mooring about a mile south of Linton Lock, but only room for one narrowboat and usually busy. Do not moor on the floating pontoon south of Linton Lock. It is a water point and for lock operations only. Overnight mooring below Linton Lock is water levels are OK (fee charged) and free mooring above lock but only room for three narrowboats. After that, apart from tying up to a tree, Boroughbridge is good. Newby Hall moorings arr only for visiters to the Hall and no overnight mooring allowed. Once on Ripon Canal there are lots of places.

Hi Martyn

Once you've left York, there are no proper moorings until you almost reach Linton - unless you want to nose into the bank at Nun Monkton. There's a mooring just before Linton for the pub in Skelton, the Dawnay Arms. I've moored there a couple of times for pub stops, but not overnight. I've heard they don't like people using the moorings if they're closed. But you can always ask.

North out of Linton, there's very little until you get to Boroughbridge, except for the Aldwark Arms mooring on your right just after you've passed under the toll bridge, about 40 minutes out of linton. Never used it or seen it used. There are a few home made structures on the left which look a bit iffy, and I've never seen them used. Between Boroughbridge and Ripon, you can moor at Westwick Lock, there's plenty of space just before you go through, depending on the river levels. The River Ure gets quite a bit of high water if it has been raining in the Dales, and the moorings can sometimes be under water. Even in Summer.

As previously said, Newby Hall is a no, but you're only less than 30 minutes from the start Of the Ripon canal and there's usually space to moor there.

York to Boroughbridge isn't so exciting as there's not much to see. Boroughbridge to Ripon is not a bad run out. In Boroughbridge, best pub is the Black Bull in the top right hand corner of the Market Square. Nice pint of Taylor's Boltmaker. if you make it to Ripon, try the One Eyed Rat on Allhallowgate just off the city centre. Choice of 7 visiting real ales changed regularly and continental lagers if that's more to your taste.

Enjoy the trip.

Geoff

Thanks all for suggestions. We are now in Boroughbridge, left York this morning. A boring trip I have to say. The first lock and Linton is extremely difficult to operate.

Didn't fancy mooring there either.

Will have a mooch around here and see what happens.

Problem is, we have to come back this way.

Your are only two and a half hours from Ripon which is a very fine Yorkshire town. The Hornblower ceremony every evening in the market square is worth visiting, the very excellent cathedral and lunch or dinner at Lockwoods is a plus.

Enjoy this part of your trip.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Left Ripon and heading south. Only cone about a mile. Near Motor Club marina. Nicolsons bridge.

Staying for a couple of days. Painting and varnishing to do.

Enjoyed Ripon. A nice city. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Martyn