Not a good start

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Not sure how this would go down, but if I was looking at choosing a boat builder, one of the things I would be asking them is if they could supply a name and contact (email even) details of anyone they have already built a boat for recently...and then make contact with them asking questions about how they found the customer service / quality of build was....

but then I not exactly normal or British ninja.gif

And were I a customer of theirs, I'd be livid if I discovered they were handing out my email address to all and sundry who might buy a boat from them...

Give me a break - U know that's not what I was implyingfrusty.gif

They (the builder) would Obviously contact the previous customer first to ensure they were happy for them to hand out their email address, I do believe they would be breaking data protection if they didn't, never mind it wouldn't be setting a very good example of their customer care would it?wacko.png

Give me a break - U know that's not what I was implyingfrusty.gif

They (the builder) would Obviously contact the previous customer first to ensure they were happy for them to hand out their email address, I do believe they would be breaking data protection if they didn't, never mind it wouldn't be setting a very good example of their customer care would it?wacko.png

In which case you already know they're choosing carefully who to let you talk to.

It would be rather like asking which surveyor to employ which will give you a good report.blink.png

In which case you already know they're choosing carefully who to let you talk to.

It would be rather like asking which surveyor to employ which will give you a good report.blink.png

Fair point - however if I was paying upwards of 140K for a boat, and someone asked me to share my experience about the boat builder, I'd be happy to share both the good and not so good points...but like I said, I don't exactly fit the "norm", nor am I British so I tend to look at things somewhat differently as far as customer service goes

hasten to add - ^^ wasn't meant as a dig against British customer service, it just differs to what I was accustomed to for the first 1/2 of my life

funny enough bettie boo thats just the kind of question i would be asking a builder as the way i see it if he is a true craftsman who takes pride in what he produced then he would be happy to discuss his product with someone who has invested their money and dreams in him. my wedding business has been built on exactly this..when someone is looking to invest their money and trust in us to provide a professional service and to create fantastic photography we have always found our past customers are are best advertisement as they can tell new brides what they got for their money and how happy they were with what we do. like building a boat we start with an agreed price and deposit and many couples come in every month or so to discuss the planning and to pay some money towards the balance and in doing so we get to know each other to the point where they become friends more than simply clients and we feel comfortable asking them if we had a new couple who needed to talk to a past bride and groom could we pass the tel numbers to them and in the 16 years i have done this never once has it been an issue and our business has grown strong through such recommendations. it could be argued what if you had a past customer who had a bad experience? would you pass their number to a new bride? tricky one that as today 1206 weddings and not 1 single complaint but we work very hard on customer care so we know exactly what our clients are expecting and ensure thats the standard of service they get.

funny enough bettie boo thats just the kind of question i would be asking a builder as the way i see it if he is a true craftsman who takes pride in what he produced then he would be happy to discuss his product with someone who has invested their money and dreams in him. my wedding business has been built on exactly this..when someone is looking to invest their money and trust in us to provide a professional service and to create fantastic photography we have always found our past customers are are best advertisement as they can tell new brides what they got for their money and how happy they were with what we do. like building a boat we start with an agreed price and deposit and many couples come in every month or so to discuss the planning and to pay some money towards the balance and in doing so we get to know each other to the point where they become friends more than simply clients and we feel comfortable asking them if we had a new couple who needed to talk to a past bride and groom could we pass the tel numbers to them and in the 16 years i have done this never once has it been an issue and our business has grown strong through such recommendations. it could be argued what if you had a past customer who had a bad experience? would you pass their number to a new bride? tricky one that as today 1206 weddings and not 1 single complaint but we work very hard on customer care so we know exactly what our clients are expecting and ensure thats the standard of service they get.

See - I just knew you would "get" what I was suggesting...I guess it comes from working in a business which relies just as much on "customer service" as it does on the quality of the finished product.

Some businesses believe they can still get away with poor customer service as long as their finished product is of a good/grand standard. IMO this is no longer acceptable, and customer care should be given the same level of attention as the finished product. It would certainly make the difference to me as a customer if I was going to recommend someone or not. When it's a "product" based business, I expect them all to provide a certain standard of finished product, it's the customer care that can more often than not be the deciding factor on the recommendation I give.wink.png

I would ask the question, but not via the builder. This would be as good as any place to start.

Narrowboat fabricators are going to be a bit nutty I'd think. There are easier ways to earn a crust. I think it's great that people order new ones, but I bet it not something anyone apart from hire companies repeat!

Hi mike peterboat when I spoke to him also said he was the man to go to for a quality job....so think he will chances are be where I end up going.

We have had four new shells from Tyler Wilson to date for fitting out. All shells ordered with just a small deposit and the balance paid on the day of collection.

Both Tim and Jonathon are great guys to talk to and will let you look at the build at any time.

Nick