Is there a doctor in the house

fergyguy

Featured Posts

When we finally have our wb built and get on the water we intend cc all year round so can be in any location at any time....so how do we go on regards doctors if we fall ill? Simple question I know but it's one for our research box.

Find the nearest doctor's surgery and ask to register as a temporary patient. They may object to this, in my recent experience, if you are expecting to stay in the area more than a couple of weeks. In that case register as a new, permanent patient, but be aware that in both cases they will want the details of the surgery where you were last permanently registered. Or, depending on what is wrong with you, look for the nearest "walk in" centre, or ulitimately the nearest hospital A & E.

Find the nearest doctor's surgery and ask to register as a temporary patient. They may object to this, in my recent experience, if you are expecting to stay in the area more than a couple of weeks. In that case register as a new, permanent patient, but be aware that in both cases they will want the details of the surgery where you were last permanently registered. Or, depending on what is wrong with you, look for the nearest "walk in" centre, or ulitimately the nearest hospital A & E.

They can't object surely; as a cc'er, by definition the OP cannot be expecting to stay in the area for more than 14 days. I don't think a doctor's area would be bigger than a "place".

Sign on as a temp patient. This will be objected to because you have not got a fixed address and therefore no GP. You are however entitled to all GP services including follow up appointments and tests. You can be a temp patient for up to three months. You cannot register as a permanent patient unless you have a fixed address and intend to live within the GP's area for more than three months due to the contract that GPs operate under.

None of this will be straightforward as GPs and their staff are generally ignorant of the rules they are supposed to operate within and resist any arrangement that differs from the norm. I have not needed personally to try to get a service from a GP while having no fixed address and I dread having to do so.

Val

We are going to use our sons address for our mail when we have our boat and are CC ers, and change our address to his at our GPs. He lives locally, so we will keep our GP and just register as a temporary patient if needed, the same as we would if we were on holiday.