copper in push-fit

Featured Posts

ok so you can use plastic pipe in metal compression fittings but can you use copper pipe in push-fit fittings?

I did where the pipes leave the calorifier.

Yes, but try to avoid chromed copper unless you score the chrome surface where the ring bites, you can actually get copper push fit fittings too. Take extra care to get a smooth surface on the copper so as noy to nick the O ring in the fitting, usually using a pipe cutter slightly rolls the edge in and takes care of that issue.

Edited by NMEA

ok so you can use plastic pipe in metal compression fittings

ONLY if you use pipe support sleeves inside. Otherwise the pipe tends to fall out or leak especially when hot.

but can you use copper pipe in push-fit fittings?

Yes. Very reliable.

My immediate thought on reading the title was 'yes, but why would you want to?'. If you're going to use copper pipe, the appropriate compression fittings won't be very expensive and they'll last pretty much for ever.

The odd times I've done it were when it was either impossible to get the spanners in to tighten a compression fitting, or where it was either dangerous (eg due to fire risk) or impractical (eg unable to get all the water out) to solder the joint.

If you still want to, as has already been mentioned, watch it with chromed pipe as the retaining rings can't grip it.