Moorings By Auction

Mad Mac

Featured Posts

I see that the the idea of auctioning available moorings are been discussed, another indication that boating is a rich mans hobby.

Will this increase the cost of moorings, as those in need of moorings and a bottomless pocket will get.

Will private companies be able to buy up mass moorings then rent them on at an inflated price.

Next thing will be to auction off the the lease of a particular canal to the private sector.

Or am I just a paranoid old man :)

Edited by Mad Mac

AAAAARGH! I have a mooring 'cos I HAVE to, it's a condition of my licence. I pay three times what it would cost to moor in a marina on the solent with zero facilities 'cos "It,s the market rate". This could seriously inflate prices for us all, apart from allowing people to buy their way to the top of the waiting list.

AAAAARGH! I have a mooring 'cos I HAVE to, it's a condition of my licence. I pay three times what it would cost to moor in a marina on the solent with zero facilities 'cos "It,s the market rate". This could seriously inflate prices for us all, apart from allowing people to buy their way to the top of the waiting list.

i am off my moorings at the moment because another boat has moored in the space, i cant move it because it is chained and padlocked to the ring.

what changes will have to be made if the moorings are auctioned off , will the moorings consist of a specified measured space or just permision to moor on a certain length but no space exclusive for your use.

from what i understand i am paying bw for moorings but have no right to be in the one spot on a length of moorings, i am unable to get even on the length of moorings recently and bw have so far failed to answer my emails for advice about the situation.

on the phone they advise to send further emails , dont know why they cant speak on the phone.

come october it may be the time to be cc.

Edited by gaggle

i am off my moorings at the moment because another boat has moored in the space, i cant move it because it is chained and padlocked to the ring.

what changes will have to be made if the moorings are auctioned off , will the moorings consist of a specified measured space or just permision to moor on a certain length but no space exclusive for your use.

from what i understand i am paying bw for moorings but have no right to be in the one spot on a length of moorings, i am unable to get even on the length of moorings recently and bw have so far failed to answer my emails for advice about the situation.

on the phone they advise to send further emails , dont know why they cant speak on the phone.

come october it may be the time to be cc.

Just wait until they send you a bill for overstaying.

Just wait until they send you a bill for overstaying.

Has BW ever successfully back-charged anyone for 'illegal' mooring? Any examples anywhere? OK So they scrap the occasional shagged-out wreck when the owner begs them to do it at no expense to himself but that's taking money OUT of the pot not putting money IN.

Edited by magnetman

Has BW ever successfully back-charged anyone for 'illegal' mooring? Any examples anywhere? OK So they scrap the occasional shagged-out wreck when the owner begs them to do it at no expense to himself but that's taking money OUT of the pot not putting money IN.

They did try with me once. I'd sold a boat, informed BW but the new owner didn't come forward. The next thing I knew I'd been tried in my absence for non-payment of licence and moorings (they sent all the paperwork to a non-existent address, even though my postal address was the stop house, Braunston, a BW office) When I did find out about it I contacted the patrol officer who told me I didn't have a leg to stand on as 'his paperwork was in order'. I asked him to send me copies of all correspondence concerning the case, which, to his great credit, he did. Unfortunately for him he also sent me correspondence between himself and the new owner, proving that he, if not BW as an organisation, knew the new owners details (which I'd provided anyway). Went back to court, case dropped with substantial costs my way. Kerching!

What makes me angry though is that they didn't go on to chase the real culprit despite me providing them with his name, address and phone number.

I can't believe this is happening, but it certainly does appear to be. One of the most arrogant acts on BW's part I've seen. I suggest that anyone bidding for a mooring offers a fiver and no more. I suspect that noone would wish to risk losing their mooring, and that pices will go up as a result.