Preston Brook to Sheffield

beldavenport

Featured Posts

Hi can anyone help advise me on the best route to Sheffield from Preston Brook. I have travelled parts of the Leeds and Liverpool and know the locks are big and heavy but I think it's the best route for a novice who wants to get a boat from here to his home. Route planner suggests using the Huddersfield Narrow and Rochdale but I think this route would be harder, and someone else has suggested going south along the Trent and Mersey and using the River Trent. I think this would need more experience using this route. Are there any suggestions. I'd really appreciate any help.

Leeds Liverpool and Rochdale are wide waterways with big lock gates. The Hudderfield is Narrow and easier all three are lovely cruising areas with plenty of fasinating places to visit. Are you planning to rush through or take it easy. Length has to be taken into consideration. 62 ft for the L&L then full length. 57ft for calder abd hebble down to Ferrybridge.

Thank you for your reply. we have sold our boat which is a 56ft traditional hull, which is deep drafted. The buyer is a novice and has bought as a live aboard. He is self employed and has sold his house, so it to get the boat to its new home mooring, rather than a holiday albeit a shame not to enjoy the scenery. I didn't quite make going through the Huddersfield Narrow as due to vandals letting out the water in the mile stretch at the bottom of the Macclesfield canal, we'd experienced feeling every bump and "trolley". That was not long after the Huddersfield Narrow had opened and I had heard all sorts of problems with the locks, so may have changed. We also had problems on the Ashton Canal with youths and I'm not aware of that having improved. Big locks as they are on the Leeds & Liverpool, the canal is wider and deeper is my thinking. We're going to help him as much as possible to get to his home mooring but we're time constrained as well.

For a novice the Huddersfield may prove to be as challenging as the Trent and certainly more frustrating albeit probably quickest route @ 9 days providing no holdups.

The Leeds and Liverpool is probably the best choice in this case but not single-handed (swing bridges!) probably 10 days.

If he can get some experienced help the Trent is easiest but also longest @ around 11/12 days depending on tide.

The Rochdale is not an option until after June..