Max Sinclair's Death

max's son

Featured Posts

I have found out that some people only read certain sections of the forum and may have missed the sad news I posted

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84157

May be history and heritage was the place to post it as he saved many pieces of our industrial heritage from industrial steam locos and railways (see the BBC film the Golden Age of Steam Pt1)

Narrowboats and engines, wind and water mills and hopefully one of the his best achievements the restoration of the Droitwich Canals

Thank you to those who have made lovely remarks about him

Thank you.

I have a memory of your father from my younger days as an enthusiast in the 60s, though I don't recall speaking with him I'm well aware of his knowledge and expertise in waterway matters, his posts here were always interesting and authoritative. I was with Martin Brookes earlier ( father was a friend, I gather ) and he was saddened to hear the news. Condolences and sympathies from us both.

Dave

And once again we say goodbye to a fellow of the true enthusiast dynasty, men like Max will seldom be seen in the light that shone on their efforts, an almost lost race to dedication, limitless stamina and gritty self determination. Countless generations will enjoy the Droitwich and its new connection let us hope his name is physically and permanently linked visibly to this waterway (CRT Take note!). A quiet solid man, willing to share priceless memories and his enduring spirit, RIP Max, you will be missed.

Max

Was a sincere person who made an invaluable contribution to the canal restoration movement. In particular he occupied a pivotal position in the restoration of the Droitwich Canal. His passion in this regard was remarkable and with his invaluable contributions to this cause, his passing will always be recognised for his efforts.

Ray Shill

• 8 months later...

Hi 'Max's Son'

I had been doing some research for an exhibition at London Canal Museum, and found a wonderful evocative description of the sound and feel of a bolinder engine, which your father wrote on the website WorcesterVista some years back.

'The sound of the bolinder was marvellous and could be heard for miles. The huge single piston would shake the boat so you literally danced along the canal'

It paints a wonderful picture and I was just embarking on trying to trace him, when I found your announcement that he had sadly died last Spring. I'm very sorry for your loss and have been very interested to read of his achievements in canals and industrial heritage conservation, through this site and elsewhere.

I am wondering if we might have permission to use and acknowledge your father's words in our exhibition? It is for a new, permanent exhibit featuring a recording of a bolinder and a brief history of their impact on the canals. Your father's words captured the iconic sound so wonderfully, and would be a great addition to the exhibit.

Do please contact the London Canal Museum (0207 713 0836) if you'd like to discuss further, and ask for me.

My thanks and condolences

Celia