Hallo from a complete newbie to narrow boating.

Mrs Puddleduck

Featured Posts

Three definitely for us. My sister has O2 on her iPhone and rarely seems to get 3G. I think O2 has reasonable phone coverage but sparse on 3 and 4g whereas Three is an all-3'or 4g network.

For the mushrooms. Have you tried Shiny Sinks. Available from some supermarkets and chandleries, eg Sainsburys I think. It is really good for getting the worst of the corrosion off, then use brasso for the final shine.

For the mushrooms. Have you tried Shiny Sinks. Available from some supermarkets and chandleries, eg Sainsburys I think. It is really good for getting the worst of the corrosion off, then use brasso for the final shine.

Good tip! I shall call in Sainsbury's chandlery and buy some. I've long believed that there's no substitute for elbow-grease when polishing mushroom vents and porthole frames, but if there is, I'll try it. I hope it works because, as our sink at home is ceramic, I don't suppose that cleaning it with SS would do it much good.

Good tip! I shall call in Sainsbury's chandlery and buy some. I've long believed that there's no substitute for elbow-grease when polishing mushroom vents and porthole frames, but if there is, I'll try it. I hope it works because, as our sink at home is ceramic, I don't suppose that cleaning it with SS would do it much good.

If you haven't tried Shiny Sinks before, you'll be amazed. You rub it in, not much seems to happen, but after a minute or two you rub it again and reveal shiny brass.

If you haven't tried Shiny Sinks before, you'll be amazed. You rub it in, not much seems to happen, but after a minute or two you rub it again and reveal shiny brass.

Does it contain nasties which devour one's flesh?

Does it contain nasties which devour one's flesh?

No, well only if you wipe it on your parts not normally exposed.

It's just a household cleaning product, but it does seem to like dissolving "brass oxide". Probably best to wear rubber gloves though, you wouldn't want to roughen your delicate and dainty hands.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Lots to think about, sounds like the Huawei is a way to go, but which mobile network has the best coverage?

If you are going the Huawei way then why not give 3 a go. (Note: it worked fine for me over a number of days at different spots in the Rugby area).

I found the Huawei device was £60 to £65 on Amazon but by buying it direct from 3 on a 1 month contract it cost £39 up front plus £10 for the first month's 2GB of data plus a pro-rata amount for however many days you use it before giving 30 days notice.

The device is unlocked so you could cancel quickly if 3 doesn't suit and get a SIM from another network.

If you are happy with 3 you can amend your data plan online to get more data for not much more money. Better still, when I phoned to cancel (having bought a 1 year SIM containing 12GB for £30 as this means I'm not paying for data on contract when I'm not on the boat) they offered me a cheaper price. I declined as I'd already bought the aforementioned 1 year SIM.

No, well only if you wipe it on your parts not normally exposed.

It's just a household cleaning product, but it does seem to like dissolving "brass oxide". Probably best to wear rubber gloves though, you wouldn't want to roughen your delicate and dainty hands.

Oooh! You've been peeping.

Look for a squat blue plastic bottle.

A Shiny Sinks bottle replies:

I am not squat, I am compactly formed and conveniently grippable. I am not plastic, I am formed of 100% recyclable material. And blue?? A fetching shade of azure if you don't mind, young man.

shiny.png

A Shiny Sinks bottle replies:

I am not squat, I am compactly formed and conveniently grippable. I am not plastic, I am formed of 100% recyclable material. And blue?? A fetching shade of azure if you don't mind, young man.

I find your comments somewhat abrasive (but not so as to cause scratches, of course). Cutting, even. I consider myself to be a respectable person and such comments are likely to deter (a) gent from posting.

I find your comments somewhat abrasive (but not so as to cause scratches, of course). Cutting, even. I consider myself to be a respectable person and such comments are likely to deter (a) gent from posting.

Oh dear, are you brassed off?