Replacing Door rope in Morso Stove

Pete & Helen

Featured Posts

Has anyone had a problem with replacing the rope in the door of a morso 1410 stove.

I removed the old and cleaned out the channel, applied the glue and fitted the rope. Then I couldn't close the door.

The rope was 8mm which is as specified in the documentation and the size the chandlers gave me when I asked for door rope for a morso 1410

The open end of the door was about an inch and a half and the rope didn't want to compress at all.

Any sensible suggestions as to what was wrong

Yup, been there. Take the door off, take the rope out and attack the groove with a rotary wire brush on a power drill. You will find that though it looks like you have a manufactured curve at the bottom of the groove it will come out in huge lumps to reveal a much deeper groove.

As above but Also some ropes benefit from removal of the inner core that runs through the middle of the rope.....

Cheers

Gareth

This is what I had to do with one rope we bought.

After removal it was still tight but I left the door shut for a couple of weeks we were not using the stove and it settled it nicely. After that it was a good seal but the door could shut with no problem.

Yup, been there. Take the door off, take the rope out and attack the groove with a rotary wire brush on a power drill. You will find that though it looks like you have a manufactured curve at the bottom of the groove it will come out in huge lumps to reveal a much deeper groove.

As above but Also some ropes benefit from removal of the inner core that runs through the middle of the rope.....

Cheers

Gareth

This is what I had to do with one rope we bought.

After removal it was still tight but I left the door shut for a couple of weeks we were not using the stove and it settled it nicely. After that it was a good seal but the door could shut with no problem.

Thanks for that, Looks like a new piece of rope and then employing the above. Will try it without the glue first

As one who uses ceramic ropes in a professional capacity, there are three different styles. The first is like the ceramic equivalent of cotton wool that is held in a 'net' knitted around it. This type compresses to flat. There is then a braided rope, made up like a plait, and this will compress to some degree, but generally retains its round shape. You then have ropes that have a rubber core.

With the channel of your door thoroughly cleaned out, you should be able to use the braided rope, which gives a more reliable seal that lasts for a reasonable period.

• Greenie 1