Experienced hands to take boat from Stratford to Gloucester via Avon and Severn

Witchword

Featured Posts

Hello, I have just gained a week's worth of experience handling a boat, but have hopefully too much sense to try and apply that to the Avon and the Severn, beyond being on board and doing as I'm told (if that- possibly not even being on board). I think we'll be at Stratford on Sunday; in an ideal world I'd move her the rest of the way next week but I don't know if that will be possible. Any help appreciated- or any tips on how to find help away from The Internet :)

Having crossed over the Avon on the M5 at Strensham a few times in the last few weeks the levels seem to be up and down. Last weekend the fields were flooded again.

Keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to stop on a flood safe mooring if needs be, you can get a little map showing the flood safe moorings from the ANT boat in Bancroft Basin when you buy your licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning lovely people. Looking still/again for some help into Gloucester if anyone is available. Hoping to be in Evesham or Tewkesbury by Sunday, thanks in advance to Ian. After that my day off in the week is Thursday and I can do weekends. Anyone?

Morning lovely people. Looking still/again for some help into Gloucester if anyone is available. Hoping to be in Evesham or Tewkesbury by Sunday, thanks in advance to Ian. After that my day off in the week is Thursday and I can do weekends. Anyone?

I think the Severn is closed at the moment isn't it...?

That web site is giving you info on FLOOD (from a housing point of view) likelihood, not whether it is safe to boat.

For boating take a look at CaRT pages, such as this:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/results/page/1?waterways%5B%5D=74&waterways%5B%5D=56&noticetypes%5B%5D=1&noticetypes%5B%5D=2&region=-1&datefrom=&dateto=&Search=Search

for the Severn.

Right now it is showing the Severn as closed. The Avon is not a CaRT waterway, so look at this:

http://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/index.php?id=15

Unless you have more information the EA gauges do not give any indication as to navigation, they relate only to flooding. If you know at what level a given site goes into the red for navigation then they can be interpreted I guess.

For the Avon I look at the Bidford cam, as I know what it would look like under summer levels, and the Wyre cam which is actually pointing at the level gauge. The Wyre cam shows that the level has gone up quite a lot, perhaps a foot, since I looked when I posted at 8pm last night, and is now to the top of the red.

Will be interesting as to where that is it anther 6 hours. The Rugby and Warwick EA gauges are showing levels rising and with more rain forecast you would predict the levels down stream to keep rise further.

Oh gloom sad.png

Boat has been moored 10 days already. If I can't progress what can I do? Marina moorings are only 48hrs and I have to work on Monday.

I assume you are moored on the approach to the basin at Stratford, which I assume is 14 days, I can't remember. Unless someone else has a better idea, if you want to stay longer then contact CRT and explain you are waiting for the Avon to be safe to navigate and ask if you can stay longer where you are.

This might be useful: it's a web page I built for Glos Worcs 4x4 Response, so we can watch the levels and see the trend.

As with those other pages based on EA gauges they don't tell you ANYTHING about how safe the rivers are for boating, only the levels. But you can see what is happening.

Note that the levels are shown as a % of a threshold, which I have chosen to be what the EA call the "highest recent" level. In most cases that occurred in Feb 2014, when we didn't get any 4x4 call outs in this area.

Here's the main level page for the Severn and Avon:

http://www.rwilson.org.uk/river_levels/

There is a link to the "trends" chart which shows 3 days of level data. Right now the Severn is falling and the Avon looks fairly stable.

Hi Ceri, it was lovely to meet you yesterday it's a shame the river conditions conspired to prevent us getting the boat any further on. See you in a fortnight when I come as crew help again. Fingers crossed that there is no significant rain in the meantime !

Ian, The Boater.