Trojan T105 charge rates

swift1894

Featured Posts

How come Trojans spec sheet says

Absorption 14.8v

Float 13.2 v

Equalise 15.5v

No mention of Bulk......are we to presume it's the same as Absorption?

Yes. There are various figures within the Trojan website that don't all agree with each other but 14.8v is fine. I'd set float to 13.25v

Have a look at this doc, around page 19, for better info: http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

It is not really appropriate to specify a voltage for the bulk phase (though a few clever charge claim to set a bulk voltage).

The bulk phase is when the charger is producing as much current as it can and so the battery determines the resulting voltage.

The voltage steadily increases during bulk, and when it gets to the absorption voltage then that's when the absorption phase has started.

I think Trojan specify a bulk current of 13% which is 30 amps for a 225Ah battery. But life is too short for this and Trojan are thinking of gently charging Golf Buggies overnight rather than boating. Just stick in as many amps as you can.

....................Dave

How come Trojans spec sheet says

Absorption 14.8v

Float 13.2 v

Equalise 15.5v

No mention of Bulk......are we to presume it's the same as Absorption?

Bulk doesn't have a constant voltage setting since its the constant current mode, where the max charger current is available to the batteries, if they will accept it. During this phase the voltage will gradually rise (although possibly quite quickly for only partially discharged batteries) until the absorb voltage is reached, and regulation in this timed mode occurs. In reality it may temporarily exceed this voltage as the control is soft and can cause an overshoot.

Having said that I believe some top range chargers do have a user selectable bulk mode voltage limit, obviously above the absorb setting, that deliberately forces the above mentioned overshoot before absorb mode commences. This to better suit some batteries ideal charge profile.

My Mastervolt Combi has settings for bulk, absorption and float voltages. The significance of bulk voltage setting is that is the voltage that it will rise to before deciding to go to absorb, which you might care to set to the same or different from absorb, and the voltage it will stay at if the "minimum time in bulk" parameter is not yet reached.